Geotechnical Department Manager
- Wichita, Kansas
- Regular, Full Time
- Job ID 22306BR
- United States
Terracon continues to grow and is committed to building strong foundations in our local communities while striving for safety and wellbeing of our employees and the clients we serve.
Come join our growing team! As a Geotechnical Department Manager, you’ll have the opportunity help us protect our clients’ biggest investments.
In this role you will supervise or monitor all projects in progress in the department to ensure that work is executed on time and in accordance with the client’s requirements and within company policies, procedures and standards. You will also supervise the preparation of proposals and cost estimates to clients to ensure proper scoping of services, availability of manpower and pricing to achieve desired profitability as well as the daily operations of a department including staff training, development, and performance review, utilization of equipment and facilities, safety oversight, quality of services and work product, timely delivery of services and deliverables, and adherence to policies and procedure.
Finally you will plan for and participate in business development activities to identify, develop, win, and execute project opportunities and build and maintain client relationships.
If you have a servant’s heart, a growth mindset, and a desire to grow as a leader, you’ll thrive in Terracon’s innovative and service driven team atmosphere! Come explore with us!
Essential Roles and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for preparation of proposals and cost estimates with varying degrees of complexity.
- Directs the short-range business development activities of all department personnel to ensure that adequate fees are available to support the manpower on the payroll.
- Plan for and execute the recruitment, selection, training, mentoring, and development of all employees in the department.
- Prepare and execute the department annual business plan.
- Oversee and manage the success of the key department metrics of revenue growth, staff chargeability, project billing and collections, and project profitability.
- Develop understanding and be aware of project-related risk. Be familiar with what could go wrong on a project and how to protect the Company. Be familiar with company risk policies.
- Lead safety efforts for team and ensure team follows safety rules and guidelines. Responsible for creating and modeling a safe work environment; demonstrates safety practices. Promote pre-task planning for all projects.
- Promote continuous quality monitoring and improvement on projects. Monitor quality standards and practices. Engage APRs on projects at their onset.
- Bachelor’s degree in technical discipline practiced by the Firm including Engineering, Environmental Science or Geology
- 8 or more years’ practice experience. Or, in lieu of a degree, a minimum of 12 years’ related experience.
- Previous supervisory experience.
- Valid driver’s license with acceptable violation history.
- Certification or licensure in field of expertise.
- Master’s degree or PhD preferred.
Terracon is a 100 percent employee-owned multidiscipline consulting firm comprised of more than 6,000 curious minds focused on solving engineering and technical challenges from more than 175 locations nationwide. Since 1965, Terracon has evolved into a successful multi-discipline firm specializing in environmental, facilities, geotechnical, and materials services. Terracon’s growth is due to our talented employee-owners exceeding expectations in client service and growing their careers with new and exciting opportunities in the marketplace.
Terracon’s vision of “Together, we are best at people” is demonstrated through our excellent compensation and benefits package. Based on eligibility, role and job status, we offer many programs including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) plan, paid time off and holidays, education reimbursement, and various bonus programs.
Terracon is an EEO employer. We encourage qualified minority, female, veteran and disabled candidates to apply and be considered for open positions. We do not discriminate against any applicant for employment, or any employee because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender, disability, age, or military status.