Senior Structural Engineer
- Williamsburg, Virginia
- Regular, Full Time
- Job ID 21872BR
- United States
Terracon is looking for Senior Structural Engineer to help grow our Engineering Team within our growing Facilities Team. This position will specialize in the design, investigation, and rehabilitation of building structures and building enclosures. This position will support our existing offices located in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia.
We provide room for growth and significant responsibilities ranging from client development to ensuring successful project delivery. We focus primarily on design and consulting, where you'll be joining a team that also works directly with our Architects, Owners, Civil, Mechanical, and Electrical engineers. We work with our Senior professionals and project teams to continually integrate and develop new and exciting technology for best-in-class project delivery and processes. For us, quality and doing what's right for our people and our clients is key. If you are up for an exciting and challenging opportunity and career, we look forward to visiting with you!
General Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide engineering and consulting on a variety of projects including the structural design for new and existing buildings; the investigation of buildings for structural and materials failures, for condition assessments, and for analytical studies; analysis and design for the rehabilitation of existing and historic buildings; and structural design for specialty structures and structural shop drawings.
- Work closely with a variety of clients, including Architects, Landscape Architects, Civil Engineers, Mechanical Engineers, Private and Public Company Owners, Local and State Government, Private and Public Educational Institutions, Recreational and Cultural Entities, Real Estate and Land Development, General Contractors, and Subcontractors.
- Provide design expertise to oversee and/or perform the design and preparation of construction documents that are related to the variety of projects within this office.
- Develop and prepare proposals for Professional Services that include a detailed scope of services, establishment of fees, and project schedule.
- Prepare and write reports that are professional in language with a logical presentation of technical ideas and recommendations.
- Lead multi-discipline building engineering professionals including junior to senior level staff. Coordinates departmental personnel, equipment and technical experts across the company to complete assigned projects within schedule and budget constraints.
- May supervise and mentor younger, junior and/or less experienced Facilities division professionals to cross train on structural services.
- Active involvement in one or more technical/professional associations.
- Participate in Group, and Office business development efforts working with existing clients to obtain additional work and developing new clients.
- 8+ years' experience in structural engineering, review, and assessments
- Professional Engineer licensure (PE), transferable by comity to Virginia
- B.S. in Civil Engineering is required. MS degree is preferred
- Valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record
- Experience working safely in challenging environments including crawlspaces, suspended scaffolding, vertical heights, mid- to high-rise building facades and roofs.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including the ability to summarize observations, conclusions and work requirements in both text and drawings.
- Detail-oriented with strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Prior experience with industry analytical and drafting tools is preferred. Revit proficiency is highly preferred.
Terracon is a 100 percent employee-owned consulting engineering firm providing quality services to clients. Since 1965, Terracon has evolved into a successful multi-discipline firm specializing in environmental, facilities, geotechnical, and materials services. Terracon currently has more than 5,000 employees in more than 150 offices with services available in all 50 states. Terracon’s growth is due to valued employees exceeding expectations in client service and growing their careers with new and exciting opportunities in the marketplace.
Terracon’s vision of “Together, we are best at people” is demonstrated through our excellent compensation and benefits package. Based on eligibility, role and job status, we offer many programs including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) plan, paid time off and holidays, education reimbursement, and various bonus programs.
Terracon is an EEO employer. We encourage qualified minority, female, veteran and disabled candidates to apply and be considered for open positions. We do not discriminate against any applicant for employment, or any employee because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender, disability, age, or military status.