Senior Geotechnical Staff Engineer
- Virginia Beach, Virginia
- Regular, Full Time
- Job ID 24365BR
- United States
Are you a Geotechnical Engineer that is passionate about making a difference in your community? Terracon is growing and seeks a Senior Staff Engineer to join the Geotechnical services team in our Virginia Beach, Virginia or Williamsburg, VA office.
This is a fantastic opportunity to help build a well-established and strong technical team, build and maintain client relationships, and grow our consulting engineering practice. We know that a Senior Geotechnical Staff Engineer is critical for the success of the team. Our Geotechnical Engineers will provide engineering and consulting services for a broad array of projects and clients. This may include performing and/or leading field investigations, engineering analyses, calculations, and recommendations, design and development of plans and specifications, observation and inspection, and the writing, preparation, and review of related reports for the services provided. The successful candidate will review drawings and construction to assure compliance with plans and specifications. They will also prepare proposals and cost estimates, track and evaluate project progress, budgets, and recommend changes. Additional responsibilities include researching and resolving design and construction problems; assigning, reviewing, and evaluating laboratory or field data for inclusion in reports; and applying sound engineering principles with the ability to communicate complex engineering issues and concepts to technical and non-technical clients and project teams. Services may be provided for existing or proposed projects in the public works, federal government, transportation, commercial, communications, energy, and/or industrial sectors.
If you're interested in belonging to a 100% employee-owned organization that allows us to set our course together and benefit when our hard work creates financial success, then Terracon is your kind of company! Come explore with us!
Essential Roles and Responsibilities:
- Follow safety rules, guidelines and standards for all projects. Participate in pre-task planning. Report any safety issues or concerns to management.
- Maintain quality standards on all projects.
- Mid-level, experienced engineering professional responsible for managing and executing small to medium projects and sometimes more complex projects.
- Develop the scope of work for routine projects.
- Prepare cost estimates, specifications, and other project related documents
- Analyze data, and perform engineering calculations and analysis
- Coordinate and supervise field investigations, laboratory testing, and evaluation of respective data, development of recommendations.
- Develop plans, schedules, conducts, and/or coordinates detailed phases of assigned project work.
- Work closely with senior-level project manager to gain project management and engineering experience.
- Make design recommendations, adaptations and modifications.
- Prepare work scope, proposals and reports and plans investigations for approval by senior level professionals for routine projects.
- Serve as a technical adviser to junior-level project team members.
- Supervise field staff including graduate/field engineers, engineering technicians, exploration teams, laboratory staff and other support personnel.
- Interact with client and project team in developing scope of services and communicating project progress.
- Works under the supervision of an Authorized Project Reviewer.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering.
- Minimum 3-5 years’ experience.
- Master’s degree in Engineering preferred.
- Engineer-in-Training (EIT) or Engineering Intern (EI) required and ability to obtain a registration as a Professional Engineer (PE).
- Valid driver’s license with acceptable violation history.
- Professional Engineer (PE) registration.
Terracon is a 100 percent employee-owned consulting engineering firm providing quality services to clients. Since 1965, Terracon has evolved into a successful multi-discipline firm specializing in environmental, facilities, geotechnical, and materials services. Terracon currently has more than 5,000 employees in more than 150 offices with services available in all 50 states. Terracon’s growth is due to valued employees exceeding expectations in client service and growing their careers with new and exciting opportunities in the marketplace.
Terracon’s vision of “Together, we are best at people” is demonstrated through our excellent compensation and benefits package. Based on eligibility, role and job status, we offer many programs including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) plan, paid time off and holidays, education reimbursement, and various bonus programs.
Terracon is an EEO employer. We encourage qualified minority, female, veteran and disabled candidates to apply and be considered for open positions. We do not discriminate against any applicant for employment, or any employee because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender, disability, age, or military status.