Staff Scientist (Archaeologist)
- Tempe, Arizona
- Regular, Full Time
- Job ID 21206BR
- United States
Conduct cultural records reviews, archaeological surveys, Phase I testing, Phase II data recovery, archaeological monitoring, archaeological mitigation, preparation of archaeological plans and reports, and contribute cultural information for environmental documents. Identify, evaluate and recommend risk and mitigation strategies/designs to ensure compliance with federal, state and local regulations. Prepare applicable risk assessments and technical documents including proposals, reports and regulatory agency correspondence.
Essential Roles and Responsibilities:
- Mid-level, experienced, scientific professional able to manage small- and medium-sized cultural resources projects across the U.S. Southwest.
- Ability to complete projects on-time and within budget.
- Field director for survey, excavation and monitoring fieldwork.
- Work with senior staff to prepare cost estimates and proposals from small and medium-size projects.
- Evaluate field and laboratory data, synthesizing into written reports.
- Maintain quality standards, following safety rules and guidelines.
- Bachelor’s degree in Anthropology or related science field and a minimum of 3 years’ related experience. Or, in lieu of a degree, a minimum of 7 years’ related experience.
- Master’s degree preferred.
- Possess or demonstrate ability to obtain State and Federal archaeological permits within the U.S. Southwest (Arizona, New Mexico, California, Nevada, or Utah).
- Demonstrated experience authoring cultural resources management reports.
- Ability to perform all aspects of archaeological fieldwork in outdoor settings year-round within the U.S. Southwest.
- Possess Principal Investigator status on an Arizona Antiquities Act permit or a General Archaeological Investigation Permit for archaeological investigations in New Mexico.
- Be listed or demonstrate ability to be listed on a BLM cultural resources use permit in the US Southwest.
- Meet US Secretary of Interior standards for archaeologist (prehistoric and/or historic).
- Completion of an archaeological field school in the US Southwest.
Terracon is a 100 percent employee-owned consulting engineering firm providing quality services to clients. Since 1965, Terracon has evolved into a successful multi-discipline firm specializing in environmental, facilities, geotechnical, and materials services. Terracon currently has more than 5,000 employees in more than 150 offices with services available in all 50 states. Terracon’s growth is due to valued employees exceeding expectations in client service and growing their careers with new and exciting opportunities in the marketplace.
Terracon’s vision of “Together, we are best at people” is demonstrated through our excellent compensation and benefits package. Based on eligibility, role and job status, we offer many programs including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) plan, paid time off and holidays, education reimbursement, and various bonus programs.
Terracon is an EEO employer. We encourage qualified minority, female, veteran and disabled candidates to apply and be considered for open positions. We do not discriminate against any applicant for employment, or any employee because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender, disability, age, or military status.
COVID-19 Safety Response
Committed to Our Employee Safety!
Terracon is passionate about your safety before, during, and after the COVID-19 pandemic. As Terracon continues to move forward and grow through this time, we are continuing to take every precaution to ensure the safety of our employee-owners. If you are as committed to your success as we are committed to your safety, then Terracon is the company for you!
Our goal has not changed. For Terracon, our guiding principle has been and will continue to be the safety of our employee-owners. It’s that simple. We want our employees to be able to work safely in every situation and go home safely each night. As we continue our vision of being “Best at People,” here are some of the things Terracon is doing to safeguard every employee-owner:
- On-going communication with ALL employee-owners on a dedicated COVID Response page, and a portal for their families to have access to resources as well
- Requiring specific COVID-19 Pre-Task Safety Planning Protocols for all tasks and projects
- Empowering employees to speak up and say “no” to working in unsafe conditions
- Providing an additional 40 hours of sick leave to anyone impacted by COVID-19, including those impacted by daycare and school closures
- Ensuring proper PPE and sanitation on all project sites by providing field employee-owners with mobile hand washing stations and supplies, masks, and sanitizing kits
- Utilizing technology for more remote work opportunities and innovation using everything from video conferencing to drones
- Following all CDC guidelines including social distancing on job sites, in offices, and in our labs
If your passion lies in working with a company that truly cares for your safety, and if you’re interested in belonging to a 100% employee-owned organization that will help you grow and quickly progress in your career, consider Terracon and apply today!