Asbestos and Industrial Hygiene Technician II
- St Louis, Missouri
- Regular, Full Time
- Job ID 21112BR
- United States
Are you, or someone you know, looking for a career in building sciences and industrial hygiene (asbestos, mold, lead-based paint, etc.)? If you’re eager to learn and grow your environmental career with a top environmental firm, then join our team today as an Asbestos and Industrial Hygiene Technician in St. Louis! We have been ranked by Engineering News-Record (ENR) as the #1 asbestos and lead abatement firm for 9 consecutive years!
The ideal candidate is passionate about protecting public health and the environment, willing to acquire necessary certifications for asbestos and lead inspections and can use a microscope. This position performs building inspections for development and re-development projects. Candidate should have ability to speak to a maintenance man as easily as a CEO.
This is a project-focused position. Never focused on one thing too long. Plus, our senior practitioner/mentor has a lot of experience to share and impart on an eager and reliable individual. We are looking for the next great industrial hygienist in the St. Louis area. Terracon is an employee-owned organization that creates earth-to-sky solutions with down-to-earth people. Protecting our resources…and our future!
You will conduct initial building inspections, asbestos and lead abatement oversight and assist project managers with industrial hygiene inspections. In addition, you will support phase I environmental site assessments or other environmental projects.
Building inspection job duties will include collection of field documentation, collection of bulk samples, review of laboratory documents, and data reporting. As an air sampling professional, you will be responsible for abatement oversight including contractor interaction, operation of field air monitoring equipment, collection of field documentation and on-site analysis of air samples by Phase Contrast Microscopy (PCM).
Job duties related to industrial hygiene inspections include; performance of noise surveys, radon surveys, microbial investigations with sampling, other personal sampling monitoring such as silica and lead, and data reporting.
Although the primary focus of this position will be industrial hygiene and asbestos work, the performance of standard environmental work may include: Phase 1 ESAs including site visits and data review, testing and sampling of environmental media to include in air, groundwater, sediment, and soils.
Essential Role and Responsibilities:
- Performs standardized and sometimes complex field tests as directed and/or special inspections as required.
- Performance of building inspections for asbestos-containing building materials in accordance with AHERA guidelines and MO/IL-specific regulations.
- Perform air monitoring and visual inspections during asbestos abatement projects.
- Sampling of painted coatings (via paint chip or XRF) in residential, commercial and industrial settings.
- Calibrate, clean and maintain field monitoring equipment, such as sampling devices, sampling media and microscope.
- Performing indoor air quality assessments.
- Follow safety rules, guidelines and standards for all projects. Participate in pre-task planning. Report any safety issues or concerns to management. Candidate will be required to adhere to strict company health and safety standards.
- Be responsible for maintaining quality standards on all projects.
High school diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum 4 years of relevant experience OR the equivalent in training and related experience.
- Valid driver’s license with acceptable violation history.
Associates or bachelor’s degree in Occupational Safety and Health, Industrial Hygiene, Environmental Science or related scientific field.
Certification(s) in field of expertise. Examples include:
- MO/IL Asbestos Building Inspector
- MO/IL Asbestos Air Sampling Professional
- Lead-Based Paint Inspector
- Mold Assessor
Terracon is a 100 percent employee-owned consulting engineering firm providing quality services to clients. Since 1965, Terracon has evolved into a successful multi-discipline firm specializing in environmental, facilities, geotechnical, and materials services. Terracon currently has more than 5,000 employees in more than 150 offices with services available in all 50 states. Terracon’s growth is due to valued employees exceeding expectations in client service and growing their careers with new and exciting opportunities in the marketplace.
Terracon’s vision of “Together, we are best at people” is demonstrated through our excellent compensation and benefits package. Based on eligibility, role and job status, we offer many programs including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) plan, paid time off and holidays, education reimbursement, and various bonus programs.
Terracon is an EEO employer. We encourage qualified minority, female, veteran and disabled candidates to apply and be considered for open positions. We do not discriminate against any applicant for employment, or any employee because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender, disability, age, or military status.
COVID-19 Safety Response
Committed to Our Employee Safety!
Terracon is passionate about your safety before, during, and after the COVID-19 pandemic. As Terracon continues to move forward and grow through this time, we are continuing to take every precaution to ensure the safety of our employee-owners. If you are as committed to your success as we are committed to your safety, then Terracon is the company for you!
Our goal has not changed. For Terracon, our guiding principle has been and will continue to be the safety of our employee-owners. It’s that simple. We want our employees to be able to work safely in every situation and go home safely each night. As we continue our vision of being “Best at People,” here are some of the things Terracon is doing to safeguard every employee-owner:
- On-going communication with ALL employee-owners on a dedicated COVID Response page, and a portal for their families to have access to resources as well
- Requiring specific COVID-19 Pre-Task Safety Planning Protocols for all tasks and projects
- Empowering employees to speak up and say “no” to working in unsafe conditions
- Providing an additional 40 hours of sick leave to anyone impacted by COVID-19, including those impacted by daycare and school closures
- Ensuring proper PPE and sanitation on all project sites by providing field employee-owners with mobile hand washing stations and supplies, masks, and sanitizing kits
- Utilizing technology for more remote work opportunities and innovation using everything from video conferencing to drones
- Following all CDC guidelines including social distancing on job sites, in offices, and in our labs
If your passion lies in working with a company that truly cares for your safety, and if you’re interested in belonging to a 100% employee-owned organization that will help you grow and quickly progress in your career, consider Terracon and apply today!