- Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Regular, Full Time
- Job ID 20814BR
- United States
Live and work in one of America’s Most Livable Cities! Pittsburgh offers world-class universities, dynamic museums, a top-10 symphony orchestra, four professional sports teams, a thriving social scene, affordable housing, and breath-taking scenery!
Architectural Historian to support Skelly and Loy, A Terracon Company’s Pittsburgh, PA office under the direction of the Cultural Resources Group Leader. This position has the potential to be remote or hybrid under certain circumstances or based out of another Terracon location in the region. This is a full-time position with benefits.
Essential Roles and Responsibilities:
- Follow safety rules, guidelines and standards for all projects. Participate in pre-task planning. Report any safety issues or concerns to management.
- Be responsible for maintaining quality standards on all projects.
- Design, conduct, and report on all phases and types of architectural history investigations under Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act (NHPA), primarily in the Mid-Atlantic Region and Eastern Midwest
- Prepare Phase I/II historic/architectural resource surveys, National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) eligibility assessments, effect evaluations, minimization and mitigation measures, and NRHP nominations.
- Coordinate field methodologies and logistics for Phase I and II historic/architectural resource surveys.
- Conduct background research and synthesize the research, methodologies, results, and other pertinent information into written reports and deliverables in accepted formats and to regulatory agency standards using Microsoft Office software.
- Respond to review comments on reports and deliverables by clients and regulatory agencies.
- Keep detailed notes, records, and files.
- Coordinate and assist internal and external clients with cultural resources regulatory compliance under Section 106 of the NHPA.
- Promote Skelly and Loy's Cultural Resources services to existing and new clients.
- Communicate clearly and concisely using written and verbal skills.
- Author and present professional papers/posters/articles to professional societies/journals.
- Present architectural history information to the general public as part of project needs.
- Basic project management skills including but not limited to budget and schedule tracking.
- Multi-task within flexible/fluid schedules and project needs.
- Bachelor’s degree in Architectural History, Public History, History, or Historic Preservation.
- A minimum of two (2) years of experience with a professional cultural resource, environmental, architectural, or engineering firm or a federal or state agency such as a Department of Transportation or State Historic Preservation Office.
- Intimate knowledge of Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely using both written and verbal skills.
- Ability to multi-task within flexible/fluid schedules and project needs.
- Eligibility to work in the United States without sponsorship.
- Ability to pass drug screening.
- Possession of a U.S. driver’s license, with acceptable violation history.
- Professional experience as an Architectural Historian in the Mid-Atlantic region or Eastern Midwest region (i.e., Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, and/or Michigan).
Terracon is a 100 percent employee-owned consulting engineering firm providing quality services to clients. Since 1965, Terracon has evolved into a successful multi-discipline firm specializing in environmental, facilities, geotechnical, and materials services. Terracon currently has more than 5,000 employees in more than 150 offices with services available in all 50 states. Terracon’s growth is due to valued employees exceeding expectations in client service and growing their careers with new and exciting opportunities in the marketplace.
Terracon’s vision of “Together, we are best at people” is demonstrated through our excellent compensation and benefits package. Based on eligibility, role and job status, we offer many programs including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) plan, paid time off and holidays, education reimbursement, and various bonus programs.
Terracon is an EEO employer. We encourage qualified minority, female, veteran and disabled candidates to apply and be considered for open positions. We do not discriminate against any applicant for employment, or any employee because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender, disability, age, or military status.
COVID-19 Safety Response
Committed to Our Employee Safety!
Terracon is passionate about your safety before, during, and after the COVID-19 pandemic. As Terracon continues to move forward and grow through this time, we are continuing to take every precaution to ensure the safety of our employee-owners. If you are as committed to your success as we are committed to your safety, then Terracon is the company for you!
Our goal has not changed. For Terracon, our guiding principle has been and will continue to be the safety of our employee-owners. It’s that simple. We want our employees to be able to work safely in every situation and go home safely each night. As we continue our vision of being “Best at People,” here are some of the things Terracon is doing to safeguard every employee-owner:
- On-going communication with ALL employee-owners on a dedicated COVID Response page, and a portal for their families to have access to resources as well
- Requiring specific COVID-19 Pre-Task Safety Planning Protocols for all tasks and projects
- Empowering employees to speak up and say “no” to working in unsafe conditions
- Providing an additional 40 hours of sick leave to anyone impacted by COVID-19, including those impacted by daycare and school closures
- Ensuring proper PPE and sanitation on all project sites by providing field employee-owners with mobile hand washing stations and supplies, masks, and sanitizing kits
- Utilizing technology for more remote work opportunities and innovation using everything from video conferencing to drones
- Following all CDC guidelines including social distancing on job sites, in offices, and in our labs
If your passion lies in working with a company that truly cares for your safety, and if you’re interested in belonging to a 100% employee-owned organization that will help you grow and quickly progress in your career, consider Terracon and apply today!