Archaeological Field Technician
- Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Part Time, Less than 30 hrs/wk
- Job ID 20702BR
- United States
This is an exciting opportunity to gain experience working on pre-contact and historic period archaeological sites in the Mid-Atlantic and Eastern Midwest Regions. Our projects include highway and utility corridors, bridge replacements, municipal water and sewer lines, and private developments. Field crews work five to ten shifts, in a wide variety of environments (mountain forest, agricultural fields, subdivisions, and urban centers). with paid lodging and per diem
Essential Roles and Responsibilities:
- Perform field work at Phase I survey, Phase II testing, and/or Phase III data recovery levels
- Perform basic laboratory tasks such as sorting, washing, and labeling artifacts.
- Prepare accurate and neat field and laboratory documentation and mapping.
- Complete time and expense reports using online applications.
- Work under the direction of a crew chief.
- Follow safety rules, guidelines and standards for all projects. Participate in pre-task planning. Report any safety issues or concerns to management.
- Must obey all company safety procedures, including those related to COVID-19.
- Be responsible for maintaining quality standards on all projects.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum 0-2 years of relevant experience or the equivalent in training and related experience.
- Valid driver’s license with acceptable violation history.
- Certification in field of expertise.
- College/University degree in Anthropology, Archaeology, or closely related field.
- Completion of an archaeological field school or at least 3 months of professional archaeological experience.
- Demonstrated experience in archaeological fieldwork and recordation.
- Ability to perform physically demanding tasks such as lifting, and walking on uneven surfaces carrying at least 20 lbs. of equipment, and work in extreme (heat/cold) weather conditions.
- Eligibility to work in the United States without sponsorship.
- Working knowledge of Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act.
Terracon is a 100 percent employee-owned consulting engineering firm providing quality services to clients. Since 1965, Terracon has evolved into a successful multi-discipline firm specializing in environmental, facilities, geotechnical, and materials services. Terracon currently has more than 5,000 employees in more than 150 offices with services available in all 50 states. Terracon’s growth is due to valued employees exceeding expectations in client service and growing their careers with new and exciting opportunities in the marketplace.
Terracon’s vision of “Together, we are best at people” is demonstrated through our excellent compensation and benefits package. Based on eligibility, role and job status, we offer many programs including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) plan, paid time off and holidays, education reimbursement, and various bonus programs.
Terracon is an EEO employer. We encourage qualified minority, female, veteran and disabled candidates to apply and be considered for open positions. We do not discriminate against any applicant for employment, or any employee because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender, disability, age, or military status.
COVID-19 Safety Response
Committed to Our Employee Safety!
Terracon is passionate about your safety before, during, and after the COVID-19 pandemic. As Terracon continues to move forward and grow through this time, we are continuing to take every precaution to ensure the safety of our employee-owners. If you are as committed to your success as we are committed to your safety, then Terracon is the company for you!
Our goal has not changed. For Terracon, our guiding principle has been and will continue to be the safety of our employee-owners. It’s that simple. We want our employees to be able to work safely in every situation and go home safely each night. As we continue our vision of being “Best at People,” here are some of the things Terracon is doing to safeguard every employee-owner:
- On-going communication with ALL employee-owners on a dedicated COVID Response page, and a portal for their families to have access to resources as well
- Requiring specific COVID-19 Pre-Task Safety Planning Protocols for all tasks and projects
- Empowering employees to speak up and say “no” to working in unsafe conditions
- Providing an additional 40 hours of sick leave to anyone impacted by COVID-19, including those impacted by daycare and school closures
- Offering voluntary reduced work schedule for anyone needing extra time to care for others
- Load leveling work assignments across regions to maintain high productivity and chargeability
- Ensuring proper PPE and sanitation on all project sites by providing field employee-owners with mobile hand washing stations and supplies, masks, and sanitizing kits
- Utilizing technology for more remote work opportunities and innovation using everything from video conferencing to drones
- Following all CDC guidelines including social distancing on job sites, in offices, and in our labs
- Implementing a stand-by leave program to ensure our employees continue service and health insurance benefits during regional work shortages
If your passion lies in working with a company that truly cares for your safety, and if you’re interested in belonging to a 100% employee-owned organization that will help you grow and quickly progress in your career, consider Terracon and apply today!