- Omaha, Nebraska
- Regular, Full Time
- Job ID 23700BR
- United States
Are you passionate about making a difference in communities across the county and want to be a part of the largest geophysical group in the nation? Terracon is growing and hiring a near-surface Field Geophysicist in our Omaha, Nebraska office! Terracon has the largest geophysical groups in the nation, with up to 30 offices with geophysical capabilities. Our Omaha office is part of a growing geophysical group that performs a comprehensive range of near-surface geophysical technologies in support of geologic, groundwater, environmental, engineering, and materials testing investigations, including utility location, across the county. You will work with a Senior Geophysicist in defining survey objectives, designing survey approaches, analyze the resulting geophysical data, and assist in interpretation of results. These results are incorporated into the planning, design, and construction of vital infrastructure such as roads, tunnels, airports, landfills, water supplies, and other facilities; the assessment of environmental conditions; and the evaluation of earth resources. Geophysics supports all four of Terracon’s service lines with multiple avenues for professional growth and career advancement.
If your passion lies in working on projects that help communities, and if you're interested in belonging to an employee-owned organization that allows us to set our course together and benefit when our hard work creates financial success, then Terracon is your kind of company! We share your passion.
Essential Roles and Responsibilities:
- Follow Terracon safety rules, guidelines, and standards for all projects. Participate in pre-task planning. Report any unsafe activities or concerns to management.
- Be responsible for maintaining high-quality standards on all projects.
- Assist Project and other Senior Geophysicists in conducting geophysical surveys and making recommendations for design on smaller projects of minimal complexity. Techniques include GPR, TDEMI, FDEMI, seismic, resistivity, magnetics, and others.
- May assist other regional and national offices in large, more complex projects.
- Performs site visits, field observations and field data collection or assignments.
- Direct and supervise field staff to sample, test and collect data and/or document site activities.
- Assisting in the development of proposals and reports to clients.
- Processes, evaluates, and interprets moderately complex geophysical data and assembles in written reports.
- May serve as team member or participate in meetings and communications with client pertaining to specific projects/tasks.
- May oversee work performed by other Geophysicists and Technicians.
- Operating commercial motor vehicles (i.e., standard pick-up trucks) and potentially Utility Terrain Vehicles (UTV) and watercraft. A Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) is not required.
- Training on towing small trailers and occasional off-road travel.
- Willing to travel long distances, overnight and out-of-state, depending on project needs and availability.
- Working safely in adverse, remote terrain.
- Completes paperwork including record keeping, field sketches, detailed notes, and maps of field work legibly and accurately.
- Performs periodic basic maintenance on vehicles and geophysical equipment.
- Involvement in research of new technologies and methods.
- The ideal candidate will have experience collecting and processing geophysical data using several methods. Management experience is a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree in a physical science, Geology or Geophysics degree preferred.
- Valid driver’s license with acceptable violation history.
- Recent graduate to 5 years of experience.
Terracon is a 100 percent employee-owned consulting engineering firm providing quality services to clients. Since 1965, Terracon has evolved into a successful multi-discipline firm specializing in environmental, facilities, geotechnical, and materials services. Terracon currently has more than 5,000 employees in more than 150 offices with services available in all 50 states. Terracon’s growth is due to valued employees exceeding expectations in client service and growing their careers with new and exciting opportunities in the marketplace.
Terracon’s vision of “Together, we are best at people” is demonstrated through our excellent compensation and benefits package. Based on eligibility, role and job status, we offer many programs including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) plan, paid time off and holidays, education reimbursement, and various bonus programs.
Terracon is an EEO employer. We encourage qualified minority, female, veteran and disabled candidates to apply and be considered for open positions. We do not discriminate against any applicant for employment, or any employee because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender, disability, age, or military status.