Senior Geotechnical Engineer - Transportation (remote)
- Regular, Full Time
- Job ID 23442BR
- United States
Terracon has a fantastic opportunity to join our growing Alternative Delivery organization. This group works on our larger transportation projects all across the US. Because of this, the position can be filled anywhere within the US!
In this role you will provide engineering and consulting services for transportation projects and clients. This may include performing and/or leading field investigations, engineering analysis, calculations, and recommendations, design and development of plans and specifications, observation and inspection, and the writing, preparation, and review of related reports for the services provided. Review drawings and construction to assure compliance with plans and specifications. Prepare proposals and cost estimates, track and evaluate project progress, budgets, and recommend changes. Research and resolve design and construction problems. Assign, review, and evaluate laboratory or field data for inclusion in reports. Apply sound engineering principles and be able to communicate complex engineering issues and concepts to technical and non-technical clients and project teams. Services may be provided for existing or proposed projects in the transportation sector.
Examples of the work required include:
- Development of Site Characterization reports to include a geotechnical/geological narrative of site conditions along the alignment for purposes of identifying difficult ground conditions and/or project risks.
- Providing geotechnical design recommendations and supporting documentation for earthwork, considering planned cuts/fills, for purposes of estimating construction quantities, assessing potential impacts to existing or planned project improvements and providing design/construction guidance.
- Geotechnical design recommendations and supporting documentation for bridge and wall foundations (shallow and deep).
- Geotechnical analysis to support retaining wall recommendations for individual retaining structures or for groups of retaining structures with the same general conditions (i.e. height, subgrade conditions, geometry, etc.). All analyses should be performed in accordance with code requirements.
Required analyses will include:
- External stability analysis (bearing resistance, sliding, overturning, eccentricity)
- Settlement analyses (short-term, total, rate)
- Rotational stability
- Identify geotechnical risk items that may adversely impact design and/or construction costs/schedules.
Essential Roles and Responsibilities:
- Lead safety efforts for the team and ensure the team follows safety rules and guidelines.
- Promote continuous quality monitoring and improvement on projects.
- Responsible for conceptualizing the initial design and/or investigative approach for a major phase of a large project or have overall responsibility for the engineering work on a project of moderate scope.
- Plan, schedule, conduct, and/or coordinates engineering work involving conventional engineering practices but may include a variety of complex features such as conflicting design requirements.
- Provide review of projects requiring complex and innovative investigation techniques and supervise the analysis and formulation of recommendations in written reports to clients; provides technical review of reports.
- Lead technical training and make informed decisions based upon state-of-the-art technology issues.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Master's degree preferred
- Minimum 8-11 years’ experience.
- Professional Engineer (PE) registration.
- Transportation experience with DOTs is required.
- Valid driver’s license with acceptable violation history.
This position has been categorized as a "Remote Only" position. “Remote Only” employees do not have a designated workspace at an office, and typically work from home or another location.
The national standard salary range for this position is $92,700-$143,700. The base range may be adjusted based on the specific location of the applicant. Final agreed upon compensation is based upon individual qualifications and experience.
Terracon is a 100 percent employee-owned consulting engineering firm providing quality services to clients. Since 1965, Terracon has evolved into a successful multi-discipline firm specializing in environmental, facilities, geotechnical, and materials services. Terracon currently has more than 5,000 employees in more than 150 offices with services available in all 50 states. Terracon’s growth is due to valued employees exceeding expectations in client service and growing their careers with new and exciting opportunities in the marketplace.
Terracon’s vision of “Together, we are best at people” is demonstrated through our excellent compensation and benefits package. Based on eligibility, role and job status, we offer many programs including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) plan, paid time off and holidays, education reimbursement, and various bonus programs.
Terracon is an EEO employer. We encourage qualified minority, female, veteran and disabled candidates to apply and be considered for open positions. We do not discriminate against any applicant for employment, or any employee because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender, disability, age, or military status.