Engineering Technician I
- Nashville, Tennessee
- Regular, Full Time
- Job ID 21540BR
- United States
Entry level position for a building enclosure testing technician with opportunity to learn building science principles and grow into a consulting role under the supervision of Professional Engineers and Architects.
Perform building enclosure related field testing, observation, and inspection of construction assemblies and systems (e.g. fenestration systems, waterproofing, roofing, moisture/air barrier, etc). Communicate with project manager, engineering technicians, client representative, contractor’s representative and others as applicable regarding the construction site, project requirements, and testing, observation, and inspection requirements and results. Prepare and submit data and observations in the form of written and digital reports, as work is performed, to the Terracon Project Manager. Maintain and clean equipment, vehicles and work areas. May assist with scheduling, coordination, invoicing, contract generation, and general project management and consulting. Adhere to strict safety standards.
Essential Roles and Responsibilities:
- Under close supervision of higher level staff professionals, assist on tasks and perform basic testing and observations duties.
- Responsible for maintaining work van and test equipment, transporting equipment to the jobsite, setup and deconstruction of test apparatus, which involves manual labor.
- Read and understand test standards, and perform tests as required by the respective standard (e.g. ASMT, AAMA, ANSI, ABAA).
- Provides clear documentation of findings and results.
- Communicates information to Project Manager and discusses accuracy of data in preparation for submittal.
- Submits documentation and communicates results as directed by the Project Manager.
- Will be placed in a progressively increased role of training and responsibility in work assignments.
- Maintains assigned equipment.
- Follow safety rules and practices and other safety requirements for all projects. Perform pre-task planning prior to executing work. Report any safety issues or concerns to management.
- Be responsible for maintaining quality standards on all projects.
- Comfortable working from heights. Candidate will be required to get boom and scissor lift certification during employment and is expected to operate equipment from heights.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel, and is capable of writing clear, written reports.
- Willing to perform out of town work on occasion, which may involve overnight travel.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 6 months experience required.
- Obtain boom and scissor lift certification within 30 days of hire.
- Successful completion of related internal safety certifications.
- Valid driver’s license with acceptable violation history.
- Capable of taking on all testing responsibilities and is interested in learning building science principles and design.
- Asks questions and is curious to learn how to be trained to become a building enclosure consultant.
- Ability to obtain industry certifications (e.g. RRO, RWO, REWO, CDT, LEED AP, etc.) supported by Terracon during employment.
- Hard worker, capable of carrying hose, testing equipment, tools. Comfortable working from heights. Has hands-on construction experience and is comfortable using power tools and troubleshooting fabrication issues.
- Bilingual Spanish speaker is desired.
Terracon is a 100 percent employee-owned consulting engineering firm providing quality services to clients. Since 1965, Terracon has evolved into a successful multi-discipline firm specializing in environmental, facilities, geotechnical, and materials services. Terracon currently has more than 5,000 employees in more than 150 offices with services available in all 50 states. Terracon’s growth is due to valued employees exceeding expectations in client service and growing their careers with new and exciting opportunities in the marketplace.
Terracon’s vision of “Together, we are best at people” is demonstrated through our excellent compensation and benefits package. Based on eligibility, role and job status, we offer many programs including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) plan, paid time off and holidays, education reimbursement, and various bonus programs.
Terracon is an EEO employer. We encourage qualified minority, female, veteran and disabled candidates to apply and be considered for open positions. We do not discriminate against any applicant for employment, or any employee because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender, disability, age, or military status.
COVID-19 Safety Response
Committed to Our Employee Safety!
Terracon is passionate about your safety before, during, and after the COVID-19 pandemic. As Terracon continues to move forward and grow through this time, we are continuing to take every precaution to ensure the safety of our employee-owners. If you are as committed to your success as we are committed to your safety, then Terracon is the company for you!
Our goal has not changed. For Terracon, our guiding principle has been and will continue to be the safety of our employee-owners. It’s that simple. We want our employees to be able to work safely in every situation and go home safely each night. As we continue our vision of being “Best at People,” here are some of the things Terracon is doing to safeguard every employee-owner:
- On-going communication with ALL employee-owners on a dedicated COVID Response page, and a portal for their families to have access to resources as well
- Requiring specific COVID-19 Pre-Task Safety Planning Protocols for all tasks and projects
- Empowering employees to speak up and say “no” to working in unsafe conditions
- Providing an additional 40 hours of sick leave to anyone impacted by COVID-19, including those impacted by daycare and school closures
- Ensuring proper PPE and sanitation on all project sites by providing field employee-owners with mobile hand washing stations and supplies, masks, and sanitizing kits
- Utilizing technology for more remote work opportunities and innovation using everything from video conferencing to drones
- Following all CDC guidelines including social distancing on job sites, in offices, and in our labs
If your passion lies in working with a company that truly cares for your safety, and if you’re interested in belonging to a 100% employee-owned organization that will help you grow and quickly progress in your career, consider Terracon and apply today!