Geotechnical Construction Inspector – Experienced
- Mountlake Terrace, Washington
- Regular, Full Time
- Job ID 24569BR
- United States
Are you looking to expand your career in the Special Inspection field? If so, Terracon has an opportunity for you!
Terracon is growing and hiring several Geotechnical Construction Special Inspectors for our Seattle, WA location. This mid-level role will support the growth of our geotechnical special inspection on construction projects and is an exciting opportunity for inspectors to further their inspection career and obtain additional, high level certifications. We prefer candidates with inspection experience, however, we are willing to train those that have the right background and aptitude.
The duties of a Geotechnical Construction Site Inspector include:
- Read, review, interpret project documents:
- Project plans
- Geotechnical Report
- Project specifications
- Standard specifications
- Shop drawings
- Boring, CPT and test pit logs
- Laboratory test results
- Inspect, observe, and document construction of foundations, retaining walls and other geotechnical project elements:
- Deep foundations – Driven Piles, drilled shafts, etc.
- Specialty foundations – Micropiles, augercast piling, screw-in anchors
- Ground Improvements – aggregate piers, stone columns, wick drains, lightweight fill
- Shoring – soldier pile/tiebacks, soil nails, temporary slopes
- Retaining Walls – MSE, soldier pile, soil nail, gravity block, concrete cantilever
- Tiebacks and soil nails, vertical elements
- Dewatering system construction and operation
- Inspect, observe, document construction of geotechnical project elements:
- Proofrolling of subgrades
- Subgrade stabilizations – overexcavation/replacement, reconstruction with geosynthetic
- Shallow foundation soil bearing inspections
- Field Density Testing of fill soils with nuclear density gauge (solid grasp of the relationship between soil density and moisture content for Proctor tests).
- Subsurface Exploration
- Assisting with utility locates and field marking of test pits and soil boring locations
- Reading and recording geotechnical instrumentation such as piezometers, slope inclinometers, GPS device, flow meters
- Assisting with onsite infiltration testing
- Additional Potential Duties:
- Field logging of soil data during subsurface exploration
- Assistance with data entry of subsurface exploration data
- Assistance with lab identification of soil characteristics
- Field resistivity testing
- Field testing of concrete, grout and asphalt
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Experience with laptop computer use and Microsoft Word and Excel
- Obtain ACI certification within 90 days of hire
- Obtain Certified in radiation safety and Nuclear Density Gauge operation within 6 months of hire preferred
- Successful completion of related internal safety certifications.
- Valid driver’s license with acceptable violation history
- Other national, regional, state, and local construction materials related certifications requiring experience and written examination will also be considered if deemed appropriate by the Terracon Department Manager.
The expected salary range for this position is listed below. The base range may be adjusted based on the specific location of the applicant. Final agreed upon compensation is based upon individual qualifications and experience.
$26.50 - $37.00 per hour
Terracon is a 100 percent employee-owned multidiscipline consulting firm comprised of more than 6,000 curious minds focused on solving engineering and technical challenges from more than 175 locations nationwide. Since 1965, Terracon has evolved into a successful multi-discipline firm specializing in environmental, facilities, geotechnical, and materials services. Terracon’s growth is due to our talented employee-owners exceeding expectations in client service and growing their careers with new and exciting opportunities in the marketplace.
Terracon’s vision of “Together, we are best at people” is demonstrated through our excellent compensation and benefits package. Based on eligibility, role and job status, we offer many programs including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) plan, paid time off and holidays, education reimbursement, and various bonus programs.
Terracon is an EEO employer. We encourage qualified minority, female, veteran and disabled candidates to apply and be considered for open positions. We do not discriminate against any applicant for employment, or any employee because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender, disability, age, or military status.