Construction Materials Special Inspector (Airport)
- Midvale, Utah
- Regular, Full Time
- Job ID 20558BR
- United States
Terracon is growing and hiring a Construction Materials Inspectors For Our Airport Project! Our Salt Lake City office is supporting a large expansion project at the Salt Lake City Airport and we are hiring multiple candidates at all experience levels. As a Construction Materials Inspector you will perform field testing, observation, and inspection of construction materials (e.g. soils, aggregates, concrete, asphalt, and steel). In this position you will regularly communicate with project manager, other engineering technicians, client representatives, and contractor representatives regarding the construction site. You will be required to transport material samples with associated identifying documentation to the laboratory for further testing and analysis. Additionally, you will tabulate, prepare, and submit data and observations in the form of written and digital reports for daily transmittal to the Terracon Project Manager. Maintain and clean equipment, vehicles and work areas.
If you’re career-minded, hard-working and energized by working on exciting new projects, and if you're interested in
Essential Roles and Responsibilities:
- Performs testing, observation, and inspection as directed in accordance with training and the specified procedures.
- Read and interpret construction drawings and specifications.
- Provides clear documentation of findings and results.
- Performs basic analysis of data to verify accuracy before communication and submittal to the Project Manager.
- Communicates information to Project Manager and other personnel as directed by the Project Manager.
- Draft inspection reports for review by senior inspector and/or Project Managers.
- May assist more senior inspectors on projects.
- Maintains equipment and calibration.
- Follows safety rules and practices and other safety requirements for all projects. Performs pre-task planning prior to executing work. Report any safety issues or concerns to management.
- Be responsible for maintaining quality standards on all projects
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Associates degree in Civil Engineering Technology or Construction Engineering Technology preferred.
- Minimum 2-4 years’ experience as an Engineering Technician or other applicable experience.
- 1 year experience in construction inspection preferred.
- Valid driver’s license with acceptable violation history.
- Successful completion of related internal safety certifications.
- NICET Level II certification in Construction Materials Testing (Asphalt, Concrete, Soils).
- NICET Level II certification in Geotechnical (Construction, Laboratory, Exploration, Generalist)
- ICC certification (Reinforced Concrete, Spray-applied Fireproofing, Structural Masonry, Prestressed/Post-Tensioned Concrete, Structural Steel – Bolting, Structural Steel – Welding).
- American Welding Society (AWS) Certified Welding Inspector (CWI)
- American Society for Nondestructive Testing (ASNT) Level II certification (Visual Testing (VT), Magnetic Particle Testing (MT), Dye Penetrant Testing (PT), Radiographic Testing (RT), Ultrasonic Testing (UT)).
- Other national, regional, state, and local Materials related certifications requiring experience and written examination will also be considered if deemed appropriate by the Terracon Department Manager.
- ACI certification* in one or more of the following areas:
- Concrete Field Testing Technician Grade I
- Concrete Strength Testing Technician
*ACI certification not required if AWS CWI, ASNT Level II, VT, MT, PT, RT or UT certification(s) have been obtained and concrete field and laboratory testing is not required.
- Certified in radiation safety and Nuclear Density Gauge operation.**
**Nuclear Density Gauge operation certification not required if AWS CWI, ASNT Level II, VT, MT, PT, RT or UT certification(s) have been obtained and soils testing is not required.
Terracon is a 100 percent employee-owned consulting engineering firm providing quality services to clients. Since 1965, Terracon has evolved into a successful multi-discipline firm specializing in environmental, facilities, geotechnical, and materials services. Terracon currently has more than 5,000 employees in more than 150 offices with services available in all 50 states. Terracon’s growth is due to valued employees exceeding expectations in client service and growing their careers with new and exciting opportunities in the marketplace.
Terracon’s vision of “Together, we are best at people” is demonstrated through our excellent compensation and benefits package. Based on eligibility, role and job status, we offer many programs including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) plan, paid time off and holidays, education reimbursement, and various bonus programs.
Terracon is an EEO employer. We encourage qualified minority, female, veteran and disabled candidates to apply and be considered for open positions. We do not discriminate against any applicant for employment, or any employee because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender, disability, age, or military status.