Geotechnical Engineering Department Manager
- Louisville, Kentucky
- Regular, Full Time
- Job ID 23276BR
- United States
Position: Geotechnical Engineering Department Manager – Louisville, KY
Are you a Geotechnical Engineering professional with a passion for exceptional client service? Terracon is growing and seeks a Department Manager to join the Geotechnical services team in our Louisville, Kentucky office.
The successful candidate will supervise or monitor all projects in progress in the department to ensure that work is executed on time and in accordance with the client’s requirements and within company policies, procedures, and standards. They will also oversee the preparation of proposals and cost estimates to clients to ensure proper scoping of services, availability of manpower and pricing to achieve desired profitability. The Department Manager will direct the daily operations of a department including staff training, development, and performance review, utilization of equipment and facilities, safety oversight, quality of services and work product, timely delivery of services and deliverables, and adherence to policies and procedure. Other responsibilities include planning for and participating in business development activities to identify, develop, win, and execute project opportunities and build and maintain client relationships.
If you're interested in belonging to a 100% employee-owned organization that allows us to set our course together and benefit when our hard work creates financial success, then Terracon is your kind of company! Come explore with us!
Essential Roles and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for preparation of proposals and cost estimates
- Perform business and client development activities
- Develop and manage employee staffing plans, recruitment, selection and on-boarding
- With support from the Office Manager, prepare and execute annual business plan for the department
- Oversee and manage the success of the key department metrics of revenue growth, staff chargeability, project billing and collections, and project profitability
- Develop an understanding and awareness of project-related risk; be familiar with what could go wrong on a project and how to protect the Company; be familiar with company risk policies
- Lead safety efforts for team and ensure team follows safety rules and guidelines; responsible for creating and modeling a safe work environment; demonstrates safety practices; promote pre-task planning for all projects.
- Promote continuous quality monitoring and improvement on projects; monitor quality standards and practices; engage APRs on projects at their onset
- Bachelor’s degree in technical discipline practiced by the Firm including Engineering, Environmental Science or Geology
- Minimum of 8 years’ practice experience; or, in lieu of a degree, a minimum of 12 years’ related experience
- Master’s degree or PhD preferred
- Previous supervisory experience
- Valid driver’s license with acceptable violation history
- Certification or licensure in field of expertise
Terracon is a 100 percent employee-owned consulting engineering firm providing quality services to clients. Since 1965, Terracon has evolved into a successful multi-discipline firm specializing in environmental, facilities, geotechnical, and materials services. Terracon currently has more than 5,000 employees in more than 150 offices with services available in all 50 states. Terracon’s growth is due to valued employees exceeding expectations in client service and growing their careers with new and exciting opportunities in the marketplace.
Terracon’s vision of “Together, we are best at people” is demonstrated through our excellent compensation and benefits package. Based on eligibility, role and job status, we offer many programs including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) plan, paid time off and holidays, education reimbursement, and various bonus programs.
Terracon is an EEO employer. We encourage qualified minority, female, veteran and disabled candidates to apply and be considered for open positions. We do not discriminate against any applicant for employment, or any employee because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender, disability, age, or military status.