Job DescriptionTerracon is seeking an experienced wetland scientist/biologist/ecologist to join our established Kentucky team of environmental professionals, engineers, and geologists. We are looking for an energetic, enthusiastic, and self-motivated individual at our Lexington location. You will work with an established team and client base that provides a wide range of services for federal, local, private, and state projects.The position requires a strong understanding of wetlands, streams/riparian habitats, botany, wildlife, endangered species, CWA Section 404 permitting, NEPA, and technical report preparation within the Kentucky region. Additional valuable experience includes GIS and GPS mapping. The qualified candidate will have the unique opportunity to strengthen Terracon’s NEPA and natural resource management services as a key part of growing and developing our Eastern Midwest Division.
If this sounds like your next challenge, and if you're interested in belonging to a 100% employee-owned organization that allows us to set our course together and benefit when our hard work creates financial success, then Terracon is your kind of company! We share your passion.Essential Roles and Responsibilities:
- Follow safety rules, guidelines and standards for all projects. Participate in pre-task planning. Report any safety issues or concerns to management.
- Be responsible for maintaining quality standards, budgets and meet deadlines on projects. This includes adherence to Terracon’s quality processes and requirements for document quality control reviews.
- Maintain good working relationships with state and federal agency contacts and clients.
- Conduct biological field surveys including wetland delineations in accordance with USACE requirements, threatened & endangered species surveys, and habitat assessments.
- Conduct or lead biological monitoring for construction/restoration projects.
- Maintaining accurate field notes and maps, project files, work logs, etc.
- Collaborate with environmental staff, department managers, and senior project reviewers throughout the Eastern Midwest Division including Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, and West Virginia.
- Draft or lead preparation of proposals and reports for due diligence, focused surveys, habitat assessments, biological technical reports, biological sections of NEPA documents, restoration plans and jurisdictional delineation reports, including analyzing impacts and identifying mitigation measures.
- Bachelor's and/or master’s degree(s) in Botany, Biology, Ecology, Engineering, Environmental Science, Soils Science, or other relevant field of study and a minimum of 3 years’ related experience.
- Valid driver’s license with acceptable violation history.
- Ability to work outdoors on potentially difficult terrain and during adverse weather conditions on field assignments ranging from one day to several days or weeks at a time.
- Understanding of, and/or committed willingness to learn, Federal, State, and local environmental regulations and permitting requirements (e.g., Clean Water Act, Endangered Species Act, National Environmental Policy Act, local & state requirements).
- Attention to detail, ability to work independently and with a team, and strong written and oral communication skills are essential.
- Proficiency in use of GIS and Microsoft Office software, including electronic document preparation is desirable.
Terracon is a 100 percent employee-owned multidiscipline consulting firm comprised of more than 6,000 curious minds focused on solving engineering and technical challenges from more than 175 locations nationwide. Since 1965, Terracon has evolved into a successful multi-discipline firm specializing in environmental, facilities, geotechnical, and materials services. Terracon’s growth is due to our talented employee-owners exceeding expectations in client service and growing their careers with new and exciting opportunities in the marketplace.
Terracon’s vision of “Together, we are best at people” is demonstrated through our excellent compensation and benefits package. Based on eligibility, role and job status, we offer many programs including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) plan, paid time off and holidays, education reimbursement, and various bonus programs.EEO Statement
Terracon is an EEO employer. We encourage qualified minority, female, veteran and disabled candidates to apply and be considered for open positions. We do not discriminate against any applicant for employment, or any employee because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender, disability, age, or military status.