- Hunt Valley, Maryland
- Regular, Full Time
- Job ID 19703BR
- United States
The Project Geologist will work in a team environment (with other Professional Geologists, GITs, and environmental scientists) working on a variety of projects involving multiple environmental subject areas throughout Maryland. The position will entail working with junior staff members for the collections of environmental data (global positioning system (GPS) instruments, photoionization (PID), combustible gas indictors (CGI), and data loggers), the gathering of environmental samples (soil, water, groundwater, and waste materials), periodically assisting with the setup of field instruments/equipment, and participating in the performance of elements associated with Phase II and III environmental site assessments (ESAs). Additional responsibilities will include: planning/overseeing pumping tests; analysis of aquifer test data; performing groundwater investigations; managing and overseeing Act 2 cleanups; and performing solute transport modeling. The Project Geologist will be responsible for the review and evaluation of geologic and hydrogeologic data, and the development of reports (some requiring a PG seal). This position will require individuals to interface with clients. This person is expected to exhibit independent judgement to plan, prioritize and organize a diversified workload. Some occasional evening and weekend work will be involved.
Essential Roles and Responsibilities:
- Follow safety rules, guidelines and standards for all projects. Participate in pre-task planning. Report any safety issues or concerns to management.
- Be responsible for maintaining quality standards on all projects.
- Oversee junior staff members for the collection of field data to support project assignments.
- Review, analyze, and evaluate data from environmental laboratories (sampling results), reports, maps, drawings, and testing results for projects.
- Implements technical requirements to complete client projects by directing field staff to sample, test and collect data and/or document sites activities.
- Outlines required investigative program(s) by selecting the proper alternative techniques to conduct site studies.
- Manage and develop plans for the drilling of soil borings/wells and the collection of environmental samples.
- Assist with and perform various aspects of Phase II and Phase III environmental site assessments and technical writing of reports.
- Coordination of work with supervisors, other PGs, and environmental staff members.
- Bachelor’s degree in Geology, Hydrogeology or related field and a minimum of 7 years' related experience.
- Master’s degree or PhD preferred.
- Certification in field of expertise.
- Ability to obtain registration as a Professional Geologist (PG).
- Valid driver’s license with acceptable violation history.
- Licensed Professional Geologist in the state of Maryland.
- 40-hour HAZWOPER.
- Experience working in the environmental/engineering field.
- Experience in the private consulting industry.
- Knowledge of Maryland water supply regs, a plus..
Terracon is a 100 percent employee-owned consulting engineering firm providing quality services to clients. Since 1965, Terracon has evolved into a successful multi-discipline firm specializing in environmental, facilities, geotechnical, and materials services. Terracon currently has more than 5,000 employees in more than 150 offices with services available in all 50 states. Terracon’s growth is due to valued employees exceeding expectations in client service and growing their careers with new and exciting opportunities in the marketplace.
Terracon’s vision of “Together, we are best at people” is demonstrated through our excellent compensation and benefits package. Based on eligibility, role and job status, we offer many programs including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) plan, paid time off and holidays, education reimbursement, and various bonus programs.
Terracon is an EEO employer. We encourage qualified minority, female, veteran and disabled candidates to apply and be considered for open positions. We do not discriminate against any applicant for employment, or any employee because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender, disability, age, or military status.
COVID-19 Safety Response
Committed to Our Employee Safety!
Terracon is passionate about your safety before, during, and after the COVID-19 pandemic. As Terracon continues to move forward and grow through this time, we are continuing to take every precaution to ensure the safety of our employee-owners. If you are as committed to your success as we are committed to your safety, then Terracon is the company for you!
Our goal has not changed. For Terracon, our guiding principle has been and will continue to be the safety of our employee-owners. It’s that simple. We want our employees to be able to work safely in every situation and go home safely each night. As we continue our vision of being “Best at People,” here are some of the things Terracon is doing to safeguard every employee-owner:
- On-going communication with ALL employee-owners on a dedicated COVID Response page, and a portal for their families to have access to resources as well
- Requiring specific COVID-19 Pre-Task Safety Planning Protocols for all tasks and projects
- Empowering employees to speak up and say “no” to working in unsafe conditions
- Providing an additional 40 hours of sick leave to anyone impacted by COVID-19, including those impacted by daycare and school closures
- Offering voluntary reduced work schedule for anyone needing extra time to care for others
- Load leveling work assignments across regions to maintain high productivity and chargeability
- Ensuring proper PPE and sanitation on all project sites by providing field employee-owners with mobile hand washing stations and supplies, masks, and sanitizing kits
- Utilizing technology for more remote work opportunities and innovation using everything from video conferencing to drones
- Following all CDC guidelines including social distancing on job sites, in offices, and in our labs
- Implementing a stand-by leave program to ensure our employees continue service and health insurance benefits during regional work shortages
If your passion lies in working with a company that truly cares for your safety, and if you’re interested in belonging to a 100% employee-owned organization that will help you grow and quickly progress in your career, consider Terracon and apply today!