Construction Materials Testing Technician – Entry Level
- Houston, Texas
- Regular, Full Time
- Job ID 20412BR
- United States
Come to Terracon and discover what great looks like! Here, you’ll have the opportunity to work with great people and work on great projects. At Terracon, you can have the opportunity to build a career focused on rewarding and exciting projects that help the community where you live.
At Terracon, safety is a core value. Working safely is an uncompromising commitment at all levels of the company to ensure everyone goes home safe to their family each and every day.
Our Houston Office currently has a fabulous opportunity for a Construction Materials Technician In Training within the Construction Materials Department. You will learn to perform various observations and tests on construction materials such as soils, concrete, masonry, reinforcing steel and asphalt. This is an exciting department with great cohesion among the members. The revenue continues to rise, as does the size of the team. We would expect the person who takes this position to continue the growth in both areas. This is a great opportunity for a person who is ready to take this next step in their career.
Essential Role and Responsibilities:
- Under direction of senior technicians, staff professionals or project managers, learns and assists with tasks and perform basic sample tests and observation of soils, aggregates, concrete, masonry, reinforcing steel and asphalt.
- Document and prepare sample testing and observation data using a laptop or tablet device; submit findings accurately to a Project Manager.
- Effectively communicate testing and inspection results.
- Will be placed in a progressively increased role of training and responsibility in work assignments.
- Ensure that all testing equipment and tools are properly calibrated and maintained.
- Follows safety rules and practices and other safety requirements for all projects. Performs pre-task planning prior to executing work. Reports any safety issues or concerns to management.
- Maintains quality standards on all projects.
- Transports materials safely from various job sites to the lab using a company provided full size pickup truck.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Obtain ACI certification within 90 days of hire
- Successful completion of related internal safety and technical certifications
- Valid driver’s license with acceptable violation history
- Related work experience in construction helpful, but not required
- Current industry certifications for materials testing a plus, but not required
Terracon is a 100 percent employee-owned consulting engineering firm providing quality services to clients. Since 1965, Terracon has evolved into a successful multi-discipline firm specializing in environmental, facilities, geotechnical, and materials services. Terracon currently has more than 5,000 employees in more than 150 offices with services available in all 50 states. Terracon’s growth is due to valued employees exceeding expectations in client service and growing their careers with new and exciting opportunities in the marketplace.
Terracon’s vision of “Together, we are best at people” is demonstrated through our excellent compensation and benefits package. Based on eligibility, role and job status, we offer many programs including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) plan, paid time off and holidays, education reimbursement, and various bonus programs.
Terracon is an EEO employer. We encourage qualified minority, female, veteran and disabled candidates to apply and be considered for open positions. We do not discriminate against any applicant for employment, or any employee because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender, disability, age, or military status.
COVID-19 Safety Response
Committed to Our Employee Safety!
Terracon is passionate about your safety before, during, and after the COVID-19 pandemic. As Terracon continues to move forward and grow through this time, we are continuing to take every precaution to ensure the safety of our employee-owners. If you are as committed to your success as we are committed to your safety, then Terracon is the company for you!
Our goal has not changed. For Terracon, our guiding principle has been and will continue to be the safety of our employee-owners. It’s that simple. We want our employees to be able to work safely in every situation and go home safely each night. As we continue our vision of being “Best at People,” here are some of the things Terracon is doing to safeguard every employee-owner:
- On-going communication with ALL employee-owners on a dedicated COVID Response page, and a portal for their families to have access to resources as well
- Requiring specific COVID-19 Pre-Task Safety Planning Protocols for all tasks and projects
- Empowering employees to speak up and say “no” to working in unsafe conditions
- Providing an additional 40 hours of sick leave to anyone impacted by COVID-19, including those impacted by daycare and school closures
- Offering voluntary reduced work schedule for anyone needing extra time to care for others
- Load leveling work assignments across regions to maintain high productivity and chargeability
- Ensuring proper PPE and sanitation on all project sites by providing field employee-owners with mobile hand washing stations and supplies, masks, and sanitizing kits
- Utilizing technology for more remote work opportunities and innovation using everything from video conferencing to drones
- Following all CDC guidelines including social distancing on job sites, in offices, and in our labs
- Implementing a stand-by leave program to ensure our employees continue service and health insurance benefits during regional work shortages
If your passion lies in working with a company that truly cares for your safety, and if you’re interested in belonging to a 100% employee-owned organization that will help you grow and quickly progress in your career, consider Terracon and apply today!