Environmental Technician I
- Hartford, Illinois
- Regular, Full Time
- Job ID 21565BR
- United States
There are many reasons why you should consider beginning a career with Terracon. As an employee-owned company and over 50 years strong, Terracon provides stability through continued company growth, and a deep commitment to employees’ development and wellbeing. Terracon offers you a rewarding career of delivering success and helping build communities.
If you have an interest in working outside, have a taste for adventure and would like to start a new career, let us tell you about our environmental team. There is a long list of technical duties you will perform listed below, but overall, you will work closely with a lead environmental team member and learn the job functions. The work we do is critical in soil and groundwater evaluation.
Safety is first at Terracon and is non-negotiable. Going home safe to your family at the end of the day is our top priority, and it should be yours as well and employees are empowered to call out any safety concerns as they arise and stop work when necessary.
Perform tests and sampling of environmental materials including air, groundwater, and vapor. Operate field monitoring equipment after training. Assist with operation and maintenance of environmental remediation systems. Transport material samples or documents to the lab for further testing and analysis. Tabulate and prepare field and laboratory data for written reports. Clean and maintain field monitoring equipment. Adhere to strict Terracon and client safety standards.
Essential Roles and Responsibilities:
- Performs basic tests, as directed, using well-defined procedures
- Assists in basic survey/measurement data
- Documentation of field activities and completion of field data sheets.
- Assists in operating, maintaining, and troubleshooting remediation systems
- Assists in obtaining soil, groundwater, and vapor samples
- Assists higher level technicians on complex tasks.
- Will be placed in a progressively increased role of training and responsibility in work assignments.
- Follow safety rules, guidelines and standards for all projects. Participate in pre-task planning. Upon discovery, report any safety issues or concerns to management.
- Be responsible for maintaining quality standards on all projects.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Mechanically inclined.
- Minimum 0-2 years of relevant experience or the equivalent in training and related experience.
- Valid driver’s license with acceptable violation history.
- Employment predicated on the ability to successfully acquire a TWIC card.
Certification in field of expertise.
Other national, regional, state, and local environmental related certifications requiring experience and written examination will also be considered if deemed appropriate by the Terracon Department Manager.
Terracon is a 100 percent employee-owned consulting engineering firm providing quality services to clients. Since 1965, Terracon has evolved into a successful multi-discipline firm specializing in environmental, facilities, geotechnical, and materials services. Terracon currently has more than 5,000 employees in more than 150 offices with services available in all 50 states. Terracon’s growth is due to valued employees exceeding expectations in client service and growing their careers with new and exciting opportunities in the marketplace.
Terracon’s vision of “Together, we are best at people” is demonstrated through our excellent compensation and benefits package. Based on eligibility, role and job status, we offer many programs including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) plan, paid time off and holidays, education reimbursement, and various bonus programs.
Terracon is an EEO employer. We encourage qualified minority, female, veteran and disabled candidates to apply and be considered for open positions. We do not discriminate against any applicant for employment, or any employee because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender, disability, age, or military status.
COVID-19 Safety Response
Committed to Our Employee Safety!
Terracon is passionate about your safety before, during, and after the COVID-19 pandemic. As Terracon continues to move forward and grow through this time, we are continuing to take every precaution to ensure the safety of our employee-owners. If you are as committed to your success as we are committed to your safety, then Terracon is the company for you!
Our goal has not changed. For Terracon, our guiding principle has been and will continue to be the safety of our employee-owners. It’s that simple. We want our employees to be able to work safely in every situation and go home safely each night. As we continue our vision of being “Best at People,” here are some of the things Terracon is doing to safeguard every employee-owner:
- On-going communication with ALL employee-owners on a dedicated COVID Response page, and a portal for their families to have access to resources as well
- Requiring specific COVID-19 Pre-Task Safety Planning Protocols for all tasks and projects
- Empowering employees to speak up and say “no” to working in unsafe conditions
- Providing an additional 40 hours of sick leave to anyone impacted by COVID-19, including those impacted by daycare and school closures
- Ensuring proper PPE and sanitation on all project sites by providing field employee-owners with mobile hand washing stations and supplies, masks, and sanitizing kits
- Utilizing technology for more remote work opportunities and innovation using everything from video conferencing to drones
- Following all CDC guidelines including social distancing on job sites, in offices, and in our labs
If your passion lies in working with a company that truly cares for your safety, and if you’re interested in belonging to a 100% employee-owned organization that will help you grow and quickly progress in your career, consider Terracon and apply today!