Water/Wastewater Field Engineer
- Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
- Regular, Full Time
- Job ID 24010BR
- United States
Skelly and Loy, Inc. A Terracon Company, is seeking a Water/Wastewater Field Engineer to provide engineering and consulting services to a broad array of clients in both public and private sectors for water, wastewater, and water resources projects. These projects could include, but are not limited to, potable water, domestic and industrial wastewater, stormwater management, rainwater harvesting, acid rock drainage, and SPPC/PPC plan preparation. Water/Wastewater Field Engineer generally reports to a supervisor, and works with Senior Staff Engineers, Project Managers, and engineering/environmental support staff to assist with the completion of project tasks such as evaluations/investigations, permit applications, potable water and wastewater treatment operations and maintenance and regulatory reporting, design and development of drawings and specifications, construction project bidding, construction administrative services, and field/construction inspections. Essential roles and responsibilities for this position may include but are not limited to those listed below.
Essential Roles and Responsibilities:
- Follow safety rules, guidelines and standards for all projects. Participate in pre-task planning. Report any safety issues or concerns to management
- Maintain quality standards on all projects.
- Perform site investigations, data collection, site surveys, and field evaluations of existing facilities, infrastructure, and property.
- Complete evaluations, alternative analysis, feasibility studies, and engineer's construction estimates.
- Complete design calculations and utilize applicable software applications for design purposes.
- Aid in the development of detailed design drawings, schematics, layouts, and detailed technical specifications.
- Assist with completing permit applications and design reports for various review agencies.
- Compile data and operational information for inclusion into regulatory reporting for potable water and wastewater systems.
- Provide field support to operations and maintenance staff periodically on water and wastewater treatment system projects.
- Support with construction project bid documents preparation and pre-bid meeting attendance.
- Assist with construction phase services, such as management of project schedule, costs, meeting attendance, and administrative tasks.
- Complete construction field inspections/oversight and prepare inspection reports.
- Correspond with clients, vendors, contractors, regulatory agencies, and operation and maintenance staff as needed based on project requirements.
- Attend meetings (remote or in -person) with clients, field staff and regulatory agencies for project support.
- Assist with the preparation of project proposals and cost estimates.
- Attend conferences, seminars, pre-proposal meetings, and other events for the purpose of professional development and company marketing.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering.
- Valid driver’s license with acceptable violation history.
- 0-2 years of experience in water, wastewater, and water resources design with an engineering consulting firm or related internship experience.
- Engineer-in-Training (E.I.T.) certification.
- Familiarity with Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (PA DEP) permitting and design requirements for water and wastewater systems.
- Experience with potable water and wastewater treatment systems operation and maintenance and regulatory reporting.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Working familiarity with AutoCAD software.
- Experience or openness to learn design related software as required by project need (i.e. SWMM, HEC-HMS, WaterCAD, etc.).
- Team oriented with strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent time management, with the ability to multitask.
- Detail oriented with commitment to providing high quality engineering services as it relates to all workplace responsibilities.
- Willing and able to travel to project sites and meetings as needed, including long days and overnight.
- Willingness to observe construction activities and complete field investigations.
Terracon is a 100 percent employee-owned multidiscipline consulting firm comprised of more than 6,000 curious minds focused on solving engineering and technical challenges from more than 175 locations nationwide. Since 1965, Terracon has evolved into a successful multi-discipline firm specializing in environmental, facilities, geotechnical, and materials services. Terracon’s growth is due to our talented employee-owners exceeding expectations in client service and growing their careers with new and exciting opportunities in the marketplace.
Terracon’s vision of “Together, we are best at people” is demonstrated through our excellent compensation and benefits package. Based on eligibility, role and job status, we offer many programs including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) plan, paid time off and holidays, education reimbursement, and various bonus programs.
Terracon is an EEO employer. We encourage qualified minority, female, veteran and disabled candidates to apply and be considered for open positions. We do not discriminate against any applicant for employment, or any employee because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender, disability, age, or military status.