Water Resources Engineer - Streams Focused
- Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
- Regular, Full Time
- Job ID 21124BR
- United States
The Water Resources Engineer will provide environmental engineering and consulting services for a broad array of projects and clients. Project types and focus areas include stream restoration, stream and wetland mitigation, dam rehabilitations and upgrades, dam removals, bridge and culvert replacements, stormwater management, green stormwater infrastructure (GSI), MS4 programing/permitting, hydraulic and hydrologic calculations and modeling, floodplain analysis and management, environmental site design, erosion and sediment control, permitting/regulatory coordination, plan review, and construction inspection and oversight. Research and resolve design and construction problems. Apply sound engineering principals and be able to communicate complex engineering issues and concepts to technical and non-technical clients and project teams. Prepare proposals and cost estimates, track and evaluate project progress, manage budgets, prepare bid documents/specifications, and assist with business development efforts.
Essential Roles and Responsibilities:
- Follow safety rules, guidelines and standards for all projects. Participate in pre-task planning. Report any safety issues or concerns to management.
- Be responsible for maintaining quality standards on all projects.
- Mid-level, experienced environmental engineering professional responsible for managing and executing site testing and making recommendations for systems design on medium projects. Projects may involve a variety of complex features.
- Performs site visits, field observations and field data collection or assignments.
- Evaluates moderately complex to complex laboratory and field data and assembles in written reports
- Implements technical requirements to complete client projects by directing and supervising field staff to sample, test and collect data and/or document site activities.
- Works closely with senior-level project manager and Professional Engineer of Record to gain project management and engineering experience.
- Prepares proposals and reports and outlines investigations for approval by senior level professionals.
- Serves as a technical adviser to junior-level project team members.
- May supervise field staff including field engineers, environmental scientists and technicians.
- Interacts with client and project team in developing scope of services and communicating project progress.
- Works under the supervision of a Professional Engineer.
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Engineering, Biological Engineering, Civil Engineering or related degree.
- Minimum 3-5 years’ experience.
- Master’s degree in Engineering preferred.
- Engineer-in-Training (EIT) or Engineering Intern (EI) required and ability to obtain a registration as a Professional Engineer (PE).
- Valid driver’s license with acceptable violation history.
- Professional Engineer (PE) registration.
- Proficiency in technical writing, hydrologic and hydraulic calculations, and relevant computer software (e.g., AutoCAD, MicroStation, HEC-HMS, HEC-RAS, SWMM, HY-8).
- Strong technical knowledge of stormwater and GSI design and MS4 programming/permitting.
- Ability to identify, design, coordinate, and implement water resources projects.
- Strong project management skills in the ability to develop, maintain, and monitor project/task and design schedules and budgets.
- Ability to perform hydrologic and hydraulic calculations for engineering design in areas including ecological restoration, stream and wetland restoration, stormwater management, and environmental permitting requirements.
- GIS software experience, such as ArcGIS.
- Familiarity with PennDot and Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission design procedures and standards.
- Rosgen Training, Levels I thru IV.
- FGM or natural stream channel design experience.
- RTK GPS field survey experience.
Terracon is a 100 percent employee-owned consulting engineering firm providing quality services to clients. Since 1965, Terracon has evolved into a successful multi-discipline firm specializing in environmental, facilities, geotechnical, and materials services. Terracon currently has more than 5,000 employees in more than 150 offices with services available in all 50 states. Terracon’s growth is due to valued employees exceeding expectations in client service and growing their careers with new and exciting opportunities in the marketplace.
Terracon’s vision of “Together, we are best at people” is demonstrated through our excellent compensation and benefits package. Based on eligibility, role and job status, we offer many programs including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) plan, paid time off and holidays, education reimbursement, and various bonus programs.
Terracon is an EEO employer. We encourage qualified minority, female, veteran and disabled candidates to apply and be considered for open positions. We do not discriminate against any applicant for employment, or any employee because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender, disability, age, or military status.
COVID-19 Safety Response
Committed to Our Employee Safety!
Terracon is passionate about your safety before, during, and after the COVID-19 pandemic. As Terracon continues to move forward and grow through this time, we are continuing to take every precaution to ensure the safety of our employee-owners. If you are as committed to your success as we are committed to your safety, then Terracon is the company for you!
Our goal has not changed. For Terracon, our guiding principle has been and will continue to be the safety of our employee-owners. It’s that simple. We want our employees to be able to work safely in every situation and go home safely each night. As we continue our vision of being “Best at People,” here are some of the things Terracon is doing to safeguard every employee-owner:
- On-going communication with ALL employee-owners on a dedicated COVID Response page, and a portal for their families to have access to resources as well
- Requiring specific COVID-19 Pre-Task Safety Planning Protocols for all tasks and projects
- Empowering employees to speak up and say “no” to working in unsafe conditions
- Providing an additional 40 hours of sick leave to anyone impacted by COVID-19, including those impacted by daycare and school closures
- Ensuring proper PPE and sanitation on all project sites by providing field employee-owners with mobile hand washing stations and supplies, masks, and sanitizing kits
- Utilizing technology for more remote work opportunities and innovation using everything from video conferencing to drones
- Following all CDC guidelines including social distancing on job sites, in offices, and in our labs
If your passion lies in working with a company that truly cares for your safety, and if you’re interested in belonging to a 100% employee-owned organization that will help you grow and quickly progress in your career, consider Terracon and apply today!