Group Manager, Asbestos/IH
- Gahanna, Ohio
- Regular, Full Time
- Job ID 21127BR
- United States
Asbestos/Industrial Hygiene Services Group Manager-Columbus, OH
Terracon is growing, and we are looking for a Group Manager to grow and expand our asbestos and industrial hygiene business in the Columbus metropolitan area. Do you want to work for a well-established, 100% employee-owned company with an excellent reputation that is focused on becoming best at people? Are you seeking a company that has tremendous resources and provides training and career growth opportunities?
If this sounds like a position for you, then Terracon is your kind of company! Please apply and begin your journey to employee ownership.
As a Group Manager, you will work closely with the Environmental Department Manager and will supervise our asbestos and industrial hygiene projects to ensure that work is performed on time, on budget, and to meet our client’s requirements and company policies, procedures and standards. You and our team will work together to prepare winning proposals for asbestos, lead and other hazardous materials surveys, bid specifications, and abatement oversight and will help to deliver proper scoping of services, availability of staff, and profitable pricing. You will prepare and review reports documenting surveys and abatement projects for clients and will coach and mentor junior staff on quality data generation and reporting. As a supervisor, you will have the opportunity to lead the daily operations of a growing team including safety, staff training & development, performance conversations, utilization of equipment and facilities, quality of services and work product, timely delivery of services and deliverables, and overall quality and client experience. You will also get the opportunity to work with the office leadership team to develop an Operations Plan and a business development strategy for your group with the goal of growing the practice. You will also participate in business development activities with the office leadership team to identify, develop, win, and execute exciting project opportunities and build and maintain client relationships.
Essential Roles and Responsibilities:
- Lead safety efforts and ensure the Group follows safety rules and guidelines. Responsible for creating and modeling a safe work environment, demonstrating safety practices, and promoting pre-task planning for all projects.
- Prepare proposals and cost estimates.
- Perform and/or lead field surveys for asbestos, lead-containing paint, and other regulated hazardous substances.
- Responsible for conducting and/or leading site IH sampling, results analysis and interpretation, conducting IH risk assessments, documenting site activities, and making written recommendations relative to health and safety on projects with a variety of complex features including chemical use and potential generation of byproducts.
- Prepare reports documenting the findings of surveys and communicating findings and recommendations to clients.
- Review technical reports prepared by Group members to ensure quality and accuracy of reported findings.
- Manage and mentor junior staff.
- Develop understanding and be aware of project-related risks. Be familiar with what could go wrong on a project and how to protect the company. Be familiar with company risk policies.
- Promote continuous quality monitoring and improvement on projects. Monitor quality standards and practices.
- With support from the Department/Office manager perform business and client development activities.
- With support from the Department/Office Manager develop and manage employee staffing plans, recruitment, selection and on-boarding.
- With support from the Department/Office Manager prepare and execute annual business plan for the Group.
- With support from the Department/Office Manager oversee and manage the success of the key Group metrics of revenue growth, staff chargeability, project billing and collections, and project profitability.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Environmental Health, Industrial Hygiene, Safety, or a related discipline.
- Minimum of 7+ years’ asbestos/IH practice experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with clients and team.
- Valid driver’s license, and insurable driving record.
- Current Ohio Department of Public Health (CDPH) Lead Construction Program certification as a Supervisor, Inspector/Assessor, and/or Project Monitor
- Solid understanding of Ohio /OSHA requirements
- Strong background in chemistry
- Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) Certification
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP) Certification
Terracon is a 100 percent employee-owned consulting engineering firm providing quality services to clients. Since 1965, Terracon has evolved into a successful multi-discipline firm specializing in environmental, facilities, geotechnical, and materials services. Terracon currently has more than 5,000 employees in more than 150 offices with services available in all 50 states. Terracon’s growth is due to valued employees exceeding expectations in client service and growing their careers with new and exciting opportunities in the marketplace.
Terracon’s vision of “Together, we are best at people” is demonstrated through our excellent compensation and benefits package. Based on eligibility, role and job status, we offer many programs including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) plan, paid time off and holidays, education reimbursement, and various bonus programs.
Terracon is an EEO employer. We encourage qualified minority, female, veteran and disabled candidates to apply and be considered for open positions. We do not discriminate against any applicant for employment, or any employee because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender, disability, age, or military status.
COVID-19 Safety Response
Committed to Our Employee Safety!
Terracon is passionate about your safety before, during, and after the COVID-19 pandemic. As Terracon continues to move forward and grow through this time, we are continuing to take every precaution to ensure the safety of our employee-owners. If you are as committed to your success as we are committed to your safety, then Terracon is the company for you!
Our goal has not changed. For Terracon, our guiding principle has been and will continue to be the safety of our employee-owners. It’s that simple. We want our employees to be able to work safely in every situation and go home safely each night. As we continue our vision of being “Best at People,” here are some of the things Terracon is doing to safeguard every employee-owner:
- On-going communication with ALL employee-owners on a dedicated COVID Response page, and a portal for their families to have access to resources as well
- Requiring specific COVID-19 Pre-Task Safety Planning Protocols for all tasks and projects
- Empowering employees to speak up and say “no” to working in unsafe conditions
- Providing an additional 40 hours of sick leave to anyone impacted by COVID-19, including those impacted by daycare and school closures
- Ensuring proper PPE and sanitation on all project sites by providing field employee-owners with mobile hand washing stations and supplies, masks, and sanitizing kits
- Utilizing technology for more remote work opportunities and innovation using everything from video conferencing to drones
- Following all CDC guidelines including social distancing on job sites, in offices, and in our labs
If your passion lies in working with a company that truly cares for your safety, and if you’re interested in belonging to a 100% employee-owned organization that will help you grow and quickly progress in your career, consider Terracon and apply today!