Senior Geotechnical Engineer
- Des Moines, Iowa
- Regular, Full Time
- Job ID 21927BR
- United States
Interested in being a part of a down to earth team who creates earth to sky solutions for our clients? If so, come explore with us! Our geotechnical team in leading the industry with our innovative solutions. Enjoy a flexible work environment and an inclusive culture with a nationwide leader!
The Terracon office in Des Moines, Iowa is growing and has an opening for a Senior Geotechnical Engineer. This is a fantastic opportunity to join a well-established and strong technical team, build and maintain client relationships, and continue growing our consulting engineering practice. Our Des Moines team serves a broad array of projects and clients in the public works, transportation, commercial, communications, energy, and/or industrial sectors.
We know that an experienced Senior Geotechnical Engineer is critical for the success of the team. A great Senior Geotechnical Engineer would be a cornerstone for leading a project team on moderate to complex geotechnical projects and serve as a trusted mentor to junior engineering staff. They would also develop and maintain client relationships. Key skills include high attention to detail, organization and ability to prioritize work, clear and concise writing, proactive communication, and developing innovative geotechnical approaches to project challenges.
Essential Roles and Responsibilities:
- Lead safety efforts for team and ensure team follows safety rules and guidelines. Responsible for creating and modeling a safe work environment; demonstrating safety practices. Promote pre-task planning for all projects.
- Promote continuous quality monitoring and improvement on projects. Monitor quality standards and practices.
- Develop understanding and be aware of project-related risk and how to protect the Company. Be familiar with company risk policies.
- Senior level engineering professional providing technical direction required for production and completion of both routine and unique or complex projects.
- Responsible for conceptualizing the initial design and/or investigative approach for a major phase of a large project or have overall responsibility for the engineering work on a project of moderate scope.
- Plan, schedule, conduct, and/or coordinate engineering work involving conventional engineering practices but may include a variety of complex features such as conflicting design requirements.
- Provide review of projects requiring complex and innovative investigation techniques and supervise the analysis and formulation of recommendations in written reports to clients; provide technical review of reports.
- Lead technical training and make informed decisions based upon state-of-the-art technology issues.
- Provide leadership of marketing, sales and business development.
- Supervise less experienced engineers or technical support personnel on projects.
- Serve as an Authorized Project Reviewer and mentor for less experienced staff.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering.
- Minimum 8-11 years’ experience.
- Master’s degree in Engineering preferred.
- Professional Engineer (PE) registration.
- Valid driver’s license with acceptable violation history.
Terracon is a 100 percent employee-owned consulting engineering firm providing quality services to clients. Since 1965, Terracon has evolved into a successful multi-discipline firm specializing in environmental, facilities, geotechnical, and materials services. Terracon currently has more than 5,000 employees in more than 150 offices with services available in all 50 states. Terracon’s growth is due to valued employees exceeding expectations in client service and growing their careers with new and exciting opportunities in the marketplace.
Terracon’s vision of “Together, we are best at people” is demonstrated through our excellent compensation and benefits package. Based on eligibility, role and job status, we offer many programs including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) plan, paid time off and holidays, education reimbursement, and various bonus programs.
Terracon is an EEO employer. We encourage qualified minority, female, veteran and disabled candidates to apply and be considered for open positions. We do not discriminate against any applicant for employment, or any employee because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender, disability, age, or military status.