- Cudahy, Wisconsin
- Regular, Full Time
- Job ID 21859BR
- United States
Do you like the outdoors and a diversified work atmosphere? Would you like to join a supportive and innovative company that is a national leader in Geotechnical Engineering AND is working on some of Wisconsin’s biggest construction projects? If yes, we are a perfect match!
A Lead Driller works with and leads the assistant, reports directly to the local exploration manager, and operates/maintains our company-owned exploration equipment. Fleet includes a drill rig, semi to transport the drill rig, and a chase truck. You would be the first one out to a jobsite to drill and sample the soils throughout Wisconsin where new structures including roads, bridges, buildings, and utilities are planned. As a team of two onsite, you will perform drilling techniques including auger drilling, mud rotary drilling, and rock coring. The work also includes installation of monitor wells and the opportunity to build your skillset is endless.
We are willing to train someone who is hard working, can be independent and a leader, is eager to learn and grow, is flexible with their schedule, and would be an overall positive additive to our team. It is important to Terracon as an employee-owned company to provide support for individuals and create a work/life balance. This includes paid time off, per diem for out-of-town work, health benefit packages, the opportunity to purchase company stock, safety bonuses, and support for everyday work by taking care of personal protective equipment purchases. A large part of the position is based around safety and making sure everyone goes home safely every single day.
Most project sites are within southeast Wisconsin, however, overnight travel is required when the project is 1.5+ hours away from Milwaukee. Per diem for lodging and meal expenses will be provided.
$19.75 to $27.75 per hour.
General range. Ultimately dependent on experience, then production.
Essential Roles and Responsibilities:
- Drive Terracon-owned tractor/low-boy trailer.
- Operate a drill rig for geotechnical and environmental exploration purposes. Perform vertical borings ranging from 5-80+ feet below ground surface.
- Report required maintenance to supervisor and perform maintenance tasks as required.
- Lead a two-person crew by communicating schedule and necessary supplies prior to being on the jobsite, making sure work is being performed safely, and making sure project scope/quality expectations are met.
- Follow Terracon safety rules/protocols and any additional project specific safety requests. Must wear specified PPE while working on the drill rig. Be prepared to discuss safety “near misses” to contribute to our preventative safety environment.
- Follow and convey expectation of gathering quality soil samples and boring logs.
- Perform equipment inspections via phone app on weekly, monthly, and semi-annual basis.
- Maintain company credit card by submitting weekly receipts from drilling related purchases.
- Participate in pre-task planning prior to mobilizing via Microsoft TEAMS meetings so that you have a clear understanding of project expectations.
- Communicate with local exploration manager regarding utilities, contact utility companies while onsite when needed to verify borings are clear of underground utilities, and use LEICA utility wand to clear each boring prior to performing that boring.
- Utilize company vehicles and maintain cleanliness.
- Prepare United States (US) Department of Transportation (DOT) digital logs, as required.
- Valid Class A commercial driver’s license with acceptable violation history.
- DOT Medical Card
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Ability to lift at least 50 pounds
- Ability to travel, estimated to be up to 50%
Preferred Certification and Skills:
- Relevant experience or the equivalent in training
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Positive attitude and exceptional at working with others
Terracon is a 100 percent employee-owned consulting engineering firm providing quality services to clients. Since 1965, Terracon has evolved into a successful multi-discipline firm specializing in environmental, facilities, geotechnical, and materials services. Terracon currently has more than 5,000 employees in more than 150 offices with services available in all 50 states. Terracon’s growth is due to valued employees exceeding expectations in client service and growing their careers with new and exciting opportunities in the marketplace.
Terracon’s vision of “Together, we are best at people” is demonstrated through our excellent compensation and benefits package. Based on eligibility, role and job status, we offer many programs including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) plan, paid time off and holidays, education reimbursement, and various bonus programs.
Terracon is an EEO employer. We encourage qualified minority, female, veteran and disabled candidates to apply and be considered for open positions. We do not discriminate against any applicant for employment, or any employee because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender, disability, age, or military status.