Construction Inspector I
- Concord, California
- Regular, Full Time
- Job ID 24517BR
- United States
Perform daily inspection of construction projects monitoring quality and adherence to building code requirements, construction drawings and project specifications. Inspections may cross multiple inspection disciplines or within a specified area of expertise including structural steel, concrete, masonry, fireproofing, etc. Inspection may include visual/physical inspection and field testing to verify conformance with the plans and specifications. Prepare inspection reports and provide written documentation of observations and testing of materials. Communicate findings to engineer or project manager and when requested collaborate with the project team on solutions to potential issues. Adhere to strict safety standards.
Essential Roles and Responsibilities:
- Performs testing, observation, and inspection as directed in accordance with training and the specified procedures.
- Read and interpret construction drawings and specifications.
- Provides clear documentation of findings and results.
- Performs basic analysis of data to verify accuracy before communication and submittal to the Project Manager.
- Communicates information to Project Manager and other personnel as directed by the Project Manager.
- Draft inspection reports for review by senior inspector and/or Project Managers.
- May assist more senior inspectors on projects.
- Maintains equipment and calibration.
- Follows safety rules and practices and other safety requirements for all projects. Performs pre-task planning prior to executing work. Report any safety issues or concerns to management.
- Be responsible for maintaining quality standards on all projects
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Associates degree in Civil Engineering Technology or Construction Engineering Technology preferred.
- Minimum 2-4 years’ experience as an Engineering Technician or other applicable experience.
- 1 year experience in construction inspection preferred.
- Valid driver’s license with acceptable violation history.
- Successful completion of related internal safety certifications.
- NICET Level II certification in Construction Materials Testing (Asphalt, Concrete, Soils).
- NICET Level II certification in Geotechnical (Construction, Laboratory, Exploration, Generalist)
- ICC certification (Reinforced Concrete, Spray-applied Fireproofing, Structural Masonry, Prestressed/Post-Tensioned Concrete, Structural Steel – Bolting, Structural Steel – Welding).
- American Welding Society (AWS) Certified Welding Inspector (CWI)
- American Society for Nondestructive Testing (ASNT) Level II certification (Visual Testing (VT), Magnetic Particle Testing (MT), Dye Penetrant Testing (PT), Radiographic Testing (RT), Ultrasonic Testing (UT)).
- Other national, regional, state, and local Materials related certifications requiring experience and written examination will also be considered if deemed appropriate by the Terracon Department Manager.
- ACI certification* in one or more of the following areas:
- Concrete Field Testing Technician Grade I
- Concrete Strength Testing Technician
*ACI certification not required if AWS CWI, ASNT Level II, VT, MT, PT, RT or UT certification(s) have been obtained and concrete field and laboratory testing is not required.
- Certified in radiation safety and Nuclear Density Gauge operation.**
**Nuclear Density Gauge operation certification not required if AWS CWI, ASNT Level II, VT, MT, PT, RT or UT certification(s) have been obtained and soils testing is not required.
The expected salary range for this position is listed below. The base range may be adjusted based on the specific location of the applicant. Final agreed upon compensation is based upon individual qualifications and experience.
$26.50 - $37.00 per hour
Terracon is a 100 percent employee-owned multidiscipline consulting firm comprised of more than 6,000 curious minds focused on solving engineering and technical challenges from more than 175 locations nationwide. Since 1965, Terracon has evolved into a successful multi-discipline firm specializing in environmental, facilities, geotechnical, and materials services. Terracon’s growth is due to our talented employee-owners exceeding expectations in client service and growing their careers with new and exciting opportunities in the marketplace.
Terracon’s vision of “Together, we are best at people” is demonstrated through our excellent compensation and benefits package. Based on eligibility, role and job status, we offer many programs including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) plan, paid time off and holidays, education reimbursement, and various bonus programs.
Terracon is an EEO employer. We encourage qualified minority, female, veteran and disabled candidates to apply and be considered for open positions. We do not discriminate against any applicant for employment, or any employee because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender, disability, age, or military status.