Department Manager I
- Columbia, Missouri
- Regular, Full Time
- Job ID 22067BR
- United States
Terracon’s Columbia office, a satellite of our St. Louis location, is seeking an Office Manager to oversee daily operations and help grow the business! Not only will the successful candidate be able to manage reports in an authentic and caring way, they will also be a high-energy individual with the technical and business acumen to competently represent Terracon in the mid-Missouri marketplace. If you think you have what it takes, apply today!
Manage and direct all activities (administrative and technical) of an engineering consulting office. This includes profit/loss management, employee supervision, project management, quality control, health and safety oversight, client relations and development, and new business development. With oversight and support from St. Louis, be responsible for general leasehold improvements, project and office equipment, and proper utilization of all personnel. Develop and/or review all contracts and proposals prepared by the office within the applicant’s technical area of expertise; verify technical and financial provisions and ensure manpower budgets are sufficient to complete the contracted work and render a profit. For areas outside of the applicant’s technical area of expertise, work with technical reviewers in remote locations (typically St. Louis) to ensure safe and profitable execution of projects.
Essential Roles and Responsibilities:
- Oversee a small satellite office, with 7 full-time employees, while supporting a one or more of our service business lines.
- Focus will be directed to management of specific projects and employee utilization for these projects.
- Review contracts and proposals prepared by office personnel (within technical area of expertise).
- Monitor job status reports and coordinate projects with staff.
- Develop understanding and be aware of project related risk. Be familiar with what could go wrong on a project and how to protect the company. Be familiar with company risk policies.
- Promote continuous quality monitoring and improvement on projects. Monitor quality standards and practices. Engage Authorized Project Reviewers on projects at their onset.
- Lead safety efforts for team and ensure team follows safety rules and guidelines.
- Responsible for creating and modeling a safe work environment; demonstrate safety practices. Promote pre-task planning for all projects.
- May participate with corporate marketing to maintain client contacts for future development of new business.
- Bachelor’s degree and 8 or more years’ practice experience. Or, in lieu of a degree, a minimum of 12 years’ related experience.
- Prior management experience preferred.
- Valid driver’s license with acceptable violation history.
- Certification or licensure in field of expertise.
Terracon is a 100 percent employee-owned consulting engineering firm providing quality services to clients. Since 1965, Terracon has evolved into a successful multi-discipline firm specializing in environmental, facilities, geotechnical, and materials services. Terracon currently has more than 5,000 employees in more than 150 offices with services available in all 50 states. Terracon’s growth is due to valued employees exceeding expectations in client service and growing their careers with new and exciting opportunities in the marketplace.
Terracon’s vision of “Together, we are best at people” is demonstrated through our excellent compensation and benefits package. Based on eligibility, role and job status, we offer many programs including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) plan, paid time off and holidays, education reimbursement, and various bonus programs.
Terracon is an EEO employer. We encourage qualified minority, female, veteran and disabled candidates to apply and be considered for open positions. We do not discriminate against any applicant for employment, or any employee because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender, disability, age, or military status.