On-Call Archeological Technician
- Cincinnati, Ohio
- Part Time, Less than 30 hrs/wk
- Job ID 24298BR
- United States
Terracon is looking for Archaeologists to join the Ohio Group to facilitate ongoing archaeological projects. This is a “as needed” position. Qualified candidates will help augment our teams in the Midwest but may lead to additional work with Terracon Archaeology Group across the country. Qualified candidates will conduct and participate in standard archeological work assignments as needed, including background research, artifact and records processing, field excavations and monitoring, laboratory processing, and reporting as assigned. Assists with the execution of all phases of Terracon Cultural Resource projects. Cleans and maintains field and lab equipment and supplies. May assist other Terracon environmental service lines on projects. Adheres to strict safety standards.
Essential Roles and Responsibilities:
- Follow safety rules, guidelines, and standards for all projects.
- Independently perform routine field tasks associated with excavation, including documenting and cataloging, note taking, photographic documentation.
- Excavation of standard shovel tests or test units
- Participate in and support routine laboratory tasks including washing and cataloging artifacts, creating inventories, processing records and associated documents.
- Be responsible for maintaining quality standards on all projects.
- Documentation of testing results, including ability to draw a site map.
- Demonstrate knowledge of archaeological survey and excavation.
- Perform quality control on field documents daily.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Anthropology or closely related field.
- Six months professional archaeological experience in Archaeological experience in the Ohio Valley.
- Phase I, II, and/or III level experience.
- Experience working in Cultural Resource Management.
- Completion of an Archaeological Field School.
- Ability to travel for extended periods of time.
- Ability to recognize Pre-Contact and Historic artifacts and cultural features.
- Familiarity or knowledge of handheld GPS systems.
- Ability to adequately document field work on standard field forms.
- Ability to multi-task within flexible/fluid schedules and project needs.
- Ability to perform physically demanding tasks such as lifting and walking on uneven surfaces carrying at least 20 lbs. of equipment, and ability to work in extreme (hot/cold) weather conditions.
- Eligibility to work in the United States without sponsorship.
- Ability to pass drug screening.
- Possession of a U.S. driver’s license, with acceptable violation history.
Terracon is a 100 percent employee-owned consulting engineering firm providing quality services to clients. Since 1965, Terracon has evolved into a successful multi-discipline firm specializing in environmental, facilities, geotechnical, and materials services. Terracon currently has more than 5,000 employees in more than 150 offices with services available in all 50 states. Terracon’s growth is due to valued employees exceeding expectations in client service and growing their careers with new and exciting opportunities in the marketplace.
Terracon’s vision of “Together, we are best at people” is demonstrated through our excellent compensation and benefits package. Based on eligibility, role and job status, we offer many programs including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) plan, paid time off and holidays, education reimbursement, and various bonus programs.
Terracon is an EEO employer. We encourage qualified minority, female, veteran and disabled candidates to apply and be considered for open positions. We do not discriminate against any applicant for employment, or any employee because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender, disability, age, or military status.