- Chattanooga, Tennessee
- Regular, Full Time
- Job ID 24144BR
- United States
Are you passionate about making a difference in your community? Terracon is growing and hiring a near-surface Geophysicist in our Chattanooga, TN office! Our Chattanooga office performs a comprehensive range of near-surface geophysical technologies in support of geologic, groundwater, environmental, engineering, and materials testing investigations, including utility location. This position is for an engineer or scientist who will be responsible to perform non-invasive geophysical surveys from the ground surface as well as geophysical logging in boreholes to provide images or models of subsurface conditions. You will define survey objectives, design survey approaches, analyze the resulting geophysical data, and provide interpretation of results. These results are incorporated into the planning, design and construction of vital infrastructure such as roads, tunnels, airports, landfills, water supplies, and other facilities; the assessment of environmental conditions; and the evaluation of earth resources. Geophysics supports all four of Terracon’s service lines.
If your passion lies in working on projects that help your community, and if you're interested in belonging to an employee-owned organization that allows us to set our course together and benefit when our hard work creates financial success, then Terracon is your kind of company! We share your passion.
Essential Roles and Responsibilities:
- Follow Terracon safety rules, guidelines and standards for all projects. Participate in pre-task planning. Report any unsafe activities or concerns to management.
- Be responsible for maintaining high-quality standards on all projects.
- Proficient Geophysicist responsible for conducting geophysical surveys and making recommendations for design on smaller projects of minimal complexity. Techniques include GPR, TDEMI, FDEMI, seismic, resistivity, magnetics, and others.
- May assist more senior Geophysicists on large, more complex projects.
- Performs site visits, field observations and field data collection or assignments.
- Direct and supervise field staff to sample, test and collect data and/or document site activities.
- Responsible for developing written proposals and reports to clients for approval by senior level professionals.
- Processes, evaluates, and interprets moderately complex geophysical data and assembles in written reports.
- May serve as team member or participate in meetings and communications with client pertaining to specific projects/tasks.
- May oversee work performed by other Geophysicists and Technicians.
- Drives commercial motor vehicles, however a CDL license is not required
- Completes paperwork including record keeping, field sketches, detailed notes, and maps of field work legibly and accurately.
- Performs periodic basic maintenance on vehicles and geophysical equipment.
- The ideal candidate will have experience collecting and processing geophysical data using several methods. Management experience is a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree in a physical science, Geology or Geophysics degree preferred.
- Valid driver’s license with acceptable violation history.
- 1 to 3 years of experience preferred.
Terracon is a 100 percent employee-owned consulting engineering firm providing quality services to clients. Since 1965, Terracon has evolved into a successful multi-discipline firm specializing in environmental, facilities, geotechnical, and materials services. Terracon currently has more than 5,000 employees in more than 150 offices with services available in all 50 states. Terracon’s growth is due to valued employees exceeding expectations in client service and growing their careers with new and exciting opportunities in the marketplace.
Terracon’s vision of “Together, we are best at people” is demonstrated through our excellent compensation and benefits package. Based on eligibility, role and job status, we offer many programs including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) plan, paid time off and holidays, education reimbursement, and various bonus programs.
Terracon is an EEO employer. We encourage qualified minority, female, veteran and disabled candidates to apply and be considered for open positions. We do not discriminate against any applicant for employment, or any employee because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender, disability, age, or military status.