Engineering Assistant (On-Site Position)
- Chattanooga, Tennessee
- Regular, Full Time
- Job ID 21475BR
- United States
Partner with and provide support to engineering and environmental staff on current and future projects. Perform administrative tasks of a technical nature related to specific engineering or environmental projects, draft specific written report sections, and track project status and related contracts.
Job Description, Skills & Knowledge Needed
- Performs administrative and general office duties of a responsible and confidential nature.
- Schedules and maintains calendar of appointments, meetings and travel itineraries and coordinates related arrangements.
- Prepares special reports, gathers and summarizes data.
- Prepare specific written report sections and associated drawings and attachments.
- Draft proposals and fee estimates for standard or routine projects.
- Maintain updates to project status including subtask timelines and deliverable dates including financials.
- Draft, track and maintain project change orders.
- Perform project registration and invoicing tasks.
- Maintain inventory of contracts for each project including status and ensuring signed contract is on file.
- May prepare request for information responses regarding design changes.
- May assist with utility locating services and clearances.
- May perform other engineering support tasks including development of drawings and directives for proposed boring and test pit locations and plans, preparation of boring and test pit logs and coordination of drilling, and field classification of soil and rock samples.
- Schedule and communicate with the client regarding project report status and delivery schedule.
- Provides general administrative support to a department and/or group of professionals of a basic and routine nature.
- Operates the switchboard. Screens calls and forwards and/or messages, as appropriate. Greets visitors and informs office staff of arrival.
- Type correspondence, documents and spreadsheets. May input data into databases.
- Compiles and analyzes basic information for inclusion in reports or presentation materials, prepares charts, graphs or tables as necessary.
- Receives and responds to routine correspondence following established procedures.
- Maintains files of correspondence, reports, records and contracts.
- Makes copies and files various documents.
- Follow safety rules, guidelines and standards for all projects. Participate in pre-task planning. Report any safety issues or concerns to management.
- Be responsible for maintaining quality standards on all projects.
- Experience with AutoCAD LT preferred.
- Valid driver’s license with acceptable violation history.
- Associate’s degree and experience in engineering/scientific support role preferred.
- Experience with gINT Geotechnical software and AutoCAD LT preferred.
- Valid driver’s license with acceptable violation history.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands and dexterity to handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, or crouch.
- The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
Terracon is a 100 percent employee-owned consulting engineering firm providing quality services to clients. Since 1965, Terracon has evolved into a successful multi-discipline firm specializing in environmental, facilities, geotechnical, and materials services. Terracon currently has more than 5,000 employees in more than 150 offices with services available in all 50 states. Terracon’s growth is due to valued employees exceeding expectations in client service and growing their careers with new and exciting opportunities in the marketplace.
Terracon’s vision of “Together, we are best at people” is demonstrated through our excellent compensation and benefits package. Based on eligibility, role and job status, we offer many programs including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) plan, paid time off and holidays, education reimbursement, and various bonus programs.
Terracon is an EEO employer. We encourage qualified minority, female, veteran and disabled candidates to apply and be considered for open positions. We do not discriminate against any applicant for employment, or any employee because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender, disability, age, or military status.
COVID-19 Safety Response
Committed to Our Employee Safety!
Terracon is passionate about your safety before, during, and after the COVID-19 pandemic. As Terracon continues to move forward and grow through this time, we are continuing to take every precaution to ensure the safety of our employee-owners. If you are as committed to your success as we are committed to your safety, then Terracon is the company for you!
Our goal has not changed. For Terracon, our guiding principle has been and will continue to be the safety of our employee-owners. It’s that simple. We want our employees to be able to work safely in every situation and go home safely each night. As we continue our vision of being “Best at People,” here are some of the things Terracon is doing to safeguard every employee-owner:
- On-going communication with ALL employee-owners on a dedicated COVID Response page, and a portal for their families to have access to resources as well
- Requiring specific COVID-19 Pre-Task Safety Planning Protocols for all tasks and projects
- Empowering employees to speak up and say “no” to working in unsafe conditions
- Providing an additional 40 hours of sick leave to anyone impacted by COVID-19, including those impacted by daycare and school closures
- Ensuring proper PPE and sanitation on all project sites by providing field employee-owners with mobile hand washing stations and supplies, masks, and sanitizing kits
- Utilizing technology for more remote work opportunities and innovation using everything from video conferencing to drones
- Following all CDC guidelines including social distancing on job sites, in offices, and in our labs
If your passion lies in working with a company that truly cares for your safety, and if you’re interested in belonging to a 100% employee-owned organization that will help you grow and quickly progress in your career, consider Terracon and apply today!