Senior Construction Inspector
- Boise, Idaho
- Regular, Full Time
- Job ID 20358BR
- United States
Perform field and/or laboratory testing, observation, and inspection of construction materials (e.g. soils, aggregates, concrete, asphalt, and steel). Communicate with project manager, engineering technicians, client representative, contractor’s representative and others as applicable regarding the construction site, project requirements, and testing, observation, and inspection requirements and results. Transport material samples with associated identifying documentation to the laboratory for further testing and analysis. Tabulate, prepare, and submit data and observation in the form of written and digital reports as work is performed for daily transmittal to the Terracon Project Manager. Maintain and clean equipment, vehicles and work areas. May assist with scheduling and dispatch of Technicians to project sites. Adhere to strict safety standards.
Essential Roles and Responsibilities:
- Performs testing, observation, and inspection as directed in accordance with training and the specified procedures.
- Provides clear documentation of findings and results.
- Performs basic analysis of data to verify accuracy before communication and submittal to the Project Manager.
- Communicates information to Project Manager and other personnel as directed by the PM.
- Has experience and proficiency in multiple areas of field testing and inspection and or laboratory testing
- Trains lower level technicians
- May direct and supervise activities of other engineering technicians in the laboratory or on larger field projects.
- May interact with client and other site personnel on behalf of the Project Manager when directed
- May assist Project Manager in development of scope for testing and inspection services
- Maintains equipment operation and calibration.
- Performs advanced fieldwork and assists with project management.
- Plan, schedule and dispatch Technicians to project sites based on technician skill set, certifications, location, project, and priority.
- Coordinate pre-dispatch activities with Project, Department, and/or Office Managers.
- Track projects including contractor site data and status into Construction Materials and Laboratory Management System (CMELMS).
- Communicate with clients to provide up to date information in regard to the company’s ability to meet expected project timelines, client needs for projects and project status.
- Follow safety rules and practices and other safety requirements for all projects. Performs pre-task planning prior to executing work. Report any safety issues or concerns to management.
- Be responsible for maintaining quality standards on all projects.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum 5-10 years of relevant experience or the equivalent in training and related experience.
- Experience with laptop computer use and Microsoft Word and Excel
- ACI certification in one or more of the following areas:
- Concrete Field Testing Technician Grade I
- Concrete Strength Testing Technician
- ICC certification in one or more of the following categories: Reinforced Concrete, Spray-applied Fireproofing, Structural Masonry, Prestressed/Post-Tensioned Concrete, Structural Steel – Bolting, Structural Steel – Welding.
- Certified in radiation safety and Nuclear Density Gauge operation.
- Successful completion of related internal safety certifications.
- Valid driver’s license with acceptable violation history
Certifications in one or more of the following areas:
- ICC certification in two or more of the following categories: Reinforced Concrete, Spray-applied Fireproofing, Structural Masonry, Prestressed/Post-Tensioned Concrete, Structural Steel – Bolting, Structural Steel – Welding.
- American Welding Society (AWS) Senior Certified Welding Inspector (SCWI)
- American Society for Nondestructive Testing (ASNT) Level III certification in one or more of the following areas: Visual Testing (VT), Magnetic Particle Testing (MT), Dye Penetrant Testing (PT), Radiographic Testing (RT), Ultrasonic Testing (UT).
- Other national, regional, state, and local Materials related certifications requiring experience and written examination will also be considered if deemed appropriate by the Terracon Department Manager.
Terracon is a 100 percent employee-owned consulting engineering firm providing quality services to clients. Since 1965, Terracon has evolved into a successful multi-discipline firm specializing in environmental, facilities, geotechnical, and materials services. Terracon currently has more than 5,000 employees in more than 150 offices with services available in all 50 states. Terracon’s growth is due to valued employees exceeding expectations in client service and growing their careers with new and exciting opportunities in the marketplace.
Terracon’s vision of “Together, we are best at people” is demonstrated through our excellent compensation and benefits package. Based on eligibility, role and job status, we offer many programs including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) plan, paid time off and holidays, education reimbursement, and various bonus programs.
Terracon is an EEO employer. We encourage qualified minority, female, veteran and disabled candidates to apply and be considered for open positions. We do not discriminate against any applicant for employment, or any employee because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender, disability, age, or military status.
COVID-19 Safety Response
Committed to Our Employee Safety!
Terracon is passionate about your safety before, during, and after the COVID-19 pandemic. As Terracon continues to move forward and grow through this time, we are continuing to take every precaution to ensure the safety of our employee-owners. If you are as committed to your success as we are committed to your safety, then Terracon is the company for you!
Our goal has not changed. For Terracon, our guiding principle has been and will continue to be the safety of our employee-owners. It’s that simple. We want our employees to be able to work safely in every situation and go home safely each night. As we continue our vision of being “Best at People,” here are some of the things Terracon is doing to safeguard every employee-owner:
- On-going communication with ALL employee-owners on a dedicated COVID Response page, and a portal for their families to have access to resources as well
- Requiring specific COVID-19 Pre-Task Safety Planning Protocols for all tasks and projects
- Empowering employees to speak up and say “no” to working in unsafe conditions
- Providing an additional 40 hours of sick leave to anyone impacted by COVID-19, including those impacted by daycare and school closures
- Offering voluntary reduced work schedule for anyone needing extra time to care for others
- Load leveling work assignments across regions to maintain high productivity and chargeability
- Ensuring proper PPE and sanitation on all project sites by providing field employee-owners with mobile hand washing stations and supplies, masks, and sanitizing kits
- Utilizing technology for more remote work opportunities and innovation using everything from video conferencing to drones
- Following all CDC guidelines including social distancing on job sites, in offices, and in our labs
- Implementing a stand-by leave program to ensure our employees continue service and health insurance benefits during regional work shortages
If your passion lies in working with a company that truly cares for your safety, and if you’re interested in belonging to a 100% employee-owned organization that will help you grow and quickly progress in your career, consider Terracon and apply today!